Friday, January 11, 2008

"Good luck, all in"

When I have writer's block and worry that I'm all tapped out of things to complain about, I need merely to remember that I have the category of "stupid things said at the table" to work with. It is a horn o' plenty, a bottomless well. There is simply no end to the stupid things one overhears poker players say.

This one has been bugging me since the first time I heard it, which was about two years ago. There is a large and apparently growing contingent of people who habitually say, when another player has pushed all-in, "Good luck, all in." They treat it as some sort of social obligation, like saying "Bless you" when somebody sneezes.

I really don't get this. I'm not sure I can even list all of the ways in which this is stupid.

First, there's the basic grammar of it. "All in," instead of being a descriptor, becomes a noun or temporary nickname. Who wants to be called that?

Second, is there any sincerity in the wish? Do you genuinely care who wins a confrontation that you're not party to?

Third, why selectively heap one's good will on the player who is all in, rather than the guy calling him who just happens to have a few chips left? If I have $105 and call the all-in bet of a player sitting with $100, what makes him more deserving of your sentiment than me?

Fourth, am I supposed to believe that you think that uttering these words actually confers some meaningful benefit? Do the cards change in favor of the one so blessed by your incantation? Do you think that saying this little phrase really shifts the probabilities? If not, are you implying that you think the player addressed is such an imbecile that he will believe that you are invoking such magical power on his behalf?

If you don't really think that you're changing anything about the outcome of the hand, and you don't really think that the recipient of your attention will believe that, then why the specific words "Good luck"? Why not, e.g., "Live long and prosper, all in"? Why not, "May the force be with you, all in"? I'll tell you why you don't say things like that: BECAUSE YOU WOULD SOUND LIKE A FRIGGIN' MORON, THAT'S WHY!

So here's what you need to know: Saying "Good luck, all in" sounds every bit as idiotic as my proposed alternatives. Please stop the madness.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In cash games, players that get are all-in and short are probably bad ones. So, telling them "good luck" might encourage them to stay and dump off the rest of their money to you.

Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Saying things like that keeps the game in a friendly atmosphere. Obviously, the good players know that saying good luck, sitting in their lucky spot or wearing their lucky shirt doesn't actually do anything. But you want the bad players to stay there thinking they are at a game of luck. Saying a good luck all in isn't a bad way of keep the atmosphere friendly. I think it was Mike Caro that advised when looking for a good table, look for laughter and avoid silence. People having a good time are there, basically gambling unaware of strategy.

Bozmag said...

It is even stupider in a tournament where you want the all-ins to lose. When I hear it I say, "Good Luck, Caller".