Tuesday, August 05, 2008

And I love this game WHY?




It's actually been a long time since I entered an online multitable NLHE tournament (EDIT: I guess that's not quite true. I forgot about the Doyles Room bounty tourney last week), but the one being held tonight on PokerStars in honor of Dr. Pauly's five years of poker blogging (on which, BTW, mad props, dude) seemed like one I should participate in.

Started out quite badly, chased for too many chips when it wasn't really warranted. Then I got lucky and pushed all in with A-J against two opponents, one of whom had 9-9 and the other A-K. I sucked out a jack on the turn to knock out both shorter stacks and nearly triple up. Had another huge all-in with my K-K against another guy's Q-Q and nearly doubled again, pushing me into 5th place. (See screen shot of tourney lobby below. I snapped it because, well, I know from experience that these things tend not to last.)



Held about there for quite a while. Then... disaster. See below.



I was sitting in 8th place in this large field, with one of just a handful of people with enough chips to bust me sitting on my immediate right, and acting like a bully. Mr. "Whaaaaaa?" and I got it all in before the flop, with me putting in the fourth raise and him calling. That 10 on the turn was the ugliest card I've seen in a long time. Would have been at the top of the leader board if not for that lousy 10.

A purely rational person would shrug, say "Easy come, easy go," figure that the highly unlucky card here pretty much compensates for the highly lucky card I caught earlier, tell himself that he deserved to go broke (or, to be more precise, be down to just a few chips, then probably go broke soon thereafter) an hour before, in the A-J vx. A-K vs. 9-9 hand, so there's really no harm done.

But it doesn't feel that way, man. It just stings like a son of a gun.

So I'm doing something that is pretty rare for me--maybe even unprecedented: Using my blog to whine about a bad beat.

6 comments:

@OnAFoldDraw said...

Always easier to say "atleast you got your money in with the best hand" than it is to hear it.

[Brag: that's me in 3rd in your screenshot]

Rakewell said...

Good show, Trevor. I see that at the moment you're sitting in 27th with 89 players left. SO GO PAY ATTENTION TO THE GAME AND STOP READING BLOGS WHILE YOU'RE PLAYING!

@OnAFoldDraw said...

Finished 29/519 for $11.67

Lost alot of traction at my last table, the rail was against me (and i was playing very poorly).

Anonymous said...

Grump- Love the blog. Been a longtime reader and I'll take this opportunity to comment.
Actually seems like a pretty typical beat. Its the kind of beat that knocks me out of 80% of my tourneys. Rarely do I get blinded out or even push with bad hand. Typically I lose as you did here. It's very discouraging, but I'm hoping karma will pay me back sometime in a big tourney.
Keep up the excellent work!
thanks,
Tom.

23skidoo said...

At least I don't have to whine about AJ beating my AK now...thanks!

Anonymous said...

The bad beats hurt when it happens to you but feel great when you're on the winning side of them. You always hope you see more of the latter.

You were running good there for awhile.