Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Poker history quiz




An event significant to the history of poker took place behind this door. What was it?

For now, I'll tell you just two things. First, this door is in Las Vegas. (I took the photo--and the others that will be coming--this afternoon.) Second, it is not happenstance that this is the week I chose to take and post the pictures. I've been planning this for a couple of months, because we are approaching a significant anniversay of the event in question.

I'll post additional hints about every 24 hours until somebody submits a comment that correctly identifies the event, at which time I'll put up the full post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hotel room where Stu Unger died?

Anonymous said...

Six months later, on Nov. 22, 1998, Stuart Errol Ungar, 45, who had won in the neighborhood of $25 million playing poker and gin, was found dead in Room 16 of the Oasis Motel, a $58-per-night dive in the no man's land between Downtown Las Vegas and the iridescent gleam of the Strip.

Anonymous said...

I should credit my source. A History of Poker by James McManus.

Anonymous said...

I see someone already posted - I was about the put the oasis motel as an answer... I didn't know the room number.


I'd have loved to see the guy in action at the poker table.