Sunday, December 21, 2008

Overheard at the Orleans






Orleans today. Player A has pocket jacks. Flop and turn are four unconnected smaller cards. Player B shoves. Player A tanks for quite a while, finally calls. The turn had made a random two pair for Player B (something like 9s and 6s), and they hold up.

So after the hand is over, A (who is sitting next to me; B is at the far end of the table) wonders out loud whether he should have called the all-in bet. A guy two to my right says of Player B, "He's an Asian guy and he got lucky. That's what Asian guys do--they get lucky. It happens all the time."

He is neither joking nor being ironic. He is dead serious, and more than a little disgusted at the whole lot of them, unless I'm badly mistaken in my read.

I think I will have to simply withhold futher comments, because I can think of nothing that sufficiently skewers the idiocy on display here.

4 comments:

djezi said...

I have heard similar sentiment in home games I play in. There are several Korean, Chinese, and Vietnamese players that found out about (and now frequent) the games here. Nothing is said that is overtly racist or offensive, but the palpable, general opinon is that they are awful players who get lucky more than anyone else on the table. The truth is that they are average players who, because they happen to play loose and any two cards, get lucky more than anyone else on the table. Concurrently, they also lose more than anyone else, though this fact is lost on most players.

Anonymous said...

Rakewell, you have a great blog and I regularly visit, but lately it has started to really slow my computer down to the point where I don't really want to risk visiting.

Other sites load as normal.

FYI.

Rakewell said...

If it's just within the last week, my guess is that it's all the Flash movies of the tournament hands that are causing the overload. If so, then in 5-7 days when those are no longer on the main page, it should be back to normal.

Jordan said...

The guy who made the comment may have been a bit offensive about it, but truth be told, there is some truth to the sentiment. Of course, Asians aren't more lucky. However, I have seen a greater propensity to gamble or play ATC from Asian players, and culturally it makes sense. Some cultures, Vietnam stands out, actually encourage gambling. Obviously, the grouchy guy is just a bitcher-and-moaner, but he is probably reacting to the fact that a lot of Asian players play loose poker.