Saturday, February 07, 2009

Fun at the I.P.

As usual, I rather arbitrarily chose my work station for the evening: Imperial Palace. I'm very glad I did. It turned out both profitable and fun, a combination that's hard to beat.

Dug myself a hole early on, but just before I hit the big hand that surged me ahead into profit territory, I was, to my great surprise, joined at the table by two other poker bloggers, B.W.O.P. and F-Train. Soon thereafter, they were followed by Grubette, half of the blogger duo that is Poker Grub. I had not met her before, nor, I must confess, have I ever explored her blog, though I will promptly remedy that deficiency now. Also at the table was a guy named Ken, an uber-rock of a player whom I have met briefly a couple of times through social events and tournaments of allvegaspoker.com.

Now I have to tell you, this combination of folks promised to make the table lively, fun, and interesting--and it lived up to expectations, as far as I'm concerned. However, there was a countervailing consideration. I had chosen I.P. because (1) in my experience, it tends to be one of the softest $1-2 NLHE games in town, and (2) I was feeling tired and lazy, not completely up to taking on a more challenging game, such as is usually found at, say, Venetian or Binion's or Caesars Palace or Treasure Island. These four people at one table meant four seats that were anything but soft, when I had envisioned them filled with people who would just hand me their money. So--forgive me for this--I admit that I viewed their presence as something of a mixed blessing.

But I caught a few lucky hands and managed to walk away with a nice W to cap one of my best weeks ever: eight wins in eight sessions (spread among Palms, Rio, Binion's, I.P., Hooters, Boulder Station, and Riviera--an interesting sampling of this city's poker rooms), netting north of $80/hour. (I'm taking tomorrow off to do some other stuff, so my poker week is now closed and in the books.)

I think I also made some Deuce-Four converts. The night was simply chock-full of boards for which 2-4 would have been the winner, including, e.g., an A-3-5 flop and a 4-4-2 flop. B.W.O.P. told me that observing this through the session had convinced her never to throw 2-4 away again in her life. F-Train, I think, remains on the skeptical side, despite the plain evidence. He played it once and won the pot with two pairs, but said that he had done it just for me, and he wouldn't do it again. Sooner or later he'll come around.

Unfortunately, both of them appeared to be having relatively frustrating nights in terms of the poker. Grubette seemed to be holding her own. I was glad that none of my big pots came at their expense. I hope that the luck I was getting shifted their way when I left.

Thanks, guys, for making my time there a blast. And thanks, too, to the less-experienced players who made it profitable (though I doubt they're reading).


Bonus story, having nothing to do with poker

Snippet of conversation overheard in the parking garage elevator on the way back to my car, between two women who appeared to be in their mid-30s.

First woman: She let everybody know that she's still sleeping with the boss from her old job. She texted him a picture of her tatas.

Second woman: I'm not texting anybody a picture of my tatas. But that's just me--I'm old and stodgy.

3 comments:

Cardgrrl said...

$80/hr. at 1/2?!?

Wow. I bow in your general direction, sir. That is most impressive.

Mike said...

Full Tilt Poker Game #10493571991: 50 FTP Sat to FTOPS #10 Sat (79274003), Table 4 - 20/40 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:52:23 ET - 2009/02/07
Seat 1: Wonda88 (1,500)
Seat 2: DFR0218 (1,440)
Seat 3: pdiddy313 (4,415)
Seat 4: GoGeTTAA1 (1,460)
Seat 5: go4broke555 (1,460)
Seat 6: HDIronman (1,660)
Seat 7: BonerZone87 (3,045)
Seat 8: Featherhead (1,470)
Seat 9: alwaysbusto (1,460)
GoGeTTAA1 posts the small blind of 20
go4broke555 posts the big blind of 40
The button is in seat #3
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to alwaysbusto [2c 4d]
HDIronman folds
BonerZone87 folds
Featherhead calls 40
alwaysbusto raises to 120
Wonda88 folds
DFR0218 calls 120
pdiddy313 folds
GoGeTTAA1 folds
go4broke555 folds
Featherhead calls 80
*** FLOP *** [Js 4h 8d]
Featherhead checks
alwaysbusto checks
DFR0218 bets 80
Featherhead calls 80
alwaysbusto calls 80
*** TURN *** [Js 4h 8d] [5h]
Featherhead has 15 seconds left to act
Featherhead bets 400
alwaysbusto calls 400
DFR0218 folds
*** RIVER *** [Js 4h 8d 5h] [Ac]
Featherhead has 15 seconds left to act
Featherhead bets 400
alwaysbusto raises to 860, and is all in
Featherhead calls 460
*** SHOW DOWN ***
alwaysbusto shows [2c 4d] a pair of Fours
Featherhead shows [6d Jc] a pair of Jacks
Featherhead wins the pot (3,180) with a pair of Jacks
alwaysbusto stands up
The blinds are now 25/50
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 3,180 | Rake 0
Board: [Js 4h 8d 5h Ac]
Seat 1: Wonda88 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 2: DFR0218 folded on the Turn
Seat 3: pdiddy313 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: GoGeTTAA1 (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 5: go4broke555 (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: HDIronman didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: BonerZone87 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: Featherhead showed [6d Jc] and won (3,180) with a pair of Jacks
Seat 9: alwaysbusto showed [2c 4d] and lost with a pair of Fours

You owe me 50 full tilt points Grump!

BWoP said...

I managed to hit some decent hands and leave with a profit.

$244 to be exact.

Seems appropriate given the evening's conversation!