Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Nothing to see here, move along

This morning the local radio news was all about a truck that had overturned at the corner of Charleston and Lamb, spilling both ammonium nitrate and diesel fuel in front of a McDonald's. (See here, e.g.) That's a rather scary mix. Isn't that what Timothy McVeigh used to blow up the federal building in Oklahoma City?

This afternoon I drove to Der Wienerschnitzel for lunch. (Once in a while, a guy's just gotta have a chili cheese dog, and nothing else will do.) I knew it was somewhere along Charleston, but didn't remember exactly how far east-west. I wasn't even thinking about the morning's news until I was there, and realized that it was just to the east of the McDonald's in question. Driving past on two sides, I couldn't see any remnants at all of this morning's drama. They did quite a clean-up job. The only evidence that anything unusual was going on was the arrival of a Channel 3 news van, probably to set up a live shot from the scene. (Why does every television news team think that it adds to a story to have a reporter do a remote piece live from a place when the event is long over?)

So I didn't get to see any excitement, but, on the positive side, I didn't get blown up, either.

No comments: