Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Readers' tournament--final reminder

It's tonight. See http://pokergrump.blogspot.com/2008/01/special-announcement-poker-grump.html and http://pokergrump.blogspot.com/2008/01/poker-grump-readers-tournament-update.html for details.

I have to add an explanatory note. A friend who read my announcement of the tournament said it sounded kind of odd, as if I were saying, "Hey, I'm not so bad at online poker after all, so come play against me and let me take your money." Honestly, that's not at all what I had in mind. I don't think I'm any more likely to win than anybody else who has some experience with multi-table tournaments at roughly this buy-in level. My experience with other private tournaments is that they're a lot more fun than open ones, because people chat and laugh more, play a bit less fiercely (showing hole cards, making crazy plays just for the fun of it, etc.), and are playing for the bragging rights as much as for the prize money. That's what motivated the endeavor, not greed on my part.

In fact, just to clear my conscience of any possibility of being--or being perceived as--exploitative, if I manage to take any cash from the tournament, I'll feed it back into the next event as an overlay on the prize pool or a bounty.

If we sit down at a cash game together, online or in Vegas, yeah, I'll do what I can to put your chips into my stack. But that's not the goal of this event. I cringe that it didn't occur to me that some might interpret my invitation as being motivated by a desire to take readers' money. It wasn't--for once in my poker career!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm happy to play in the next one, if it is on FT, which is where I currently have my minescule amount of online poker money...have fun!

Lucypher said...

Grump, your tourney was fun. Thanks for hosting.