Friday, April 25, 2008

Annie

I ran into Annie again tonight at the Tuscany poker room, a place I've never seen her before. I used to see her only at the Hilton, but it no longer surprises me to run into her anywhere, because she really gets around--especially if there is a freeroll tournament in the offing for hours played. I've introduced you to Annie before here; I suggest reading that post before this one, so that you have some sense of who I'm talking about.

Seeing her again reminded me of two other Annie stories.

Annie plays a pretty classic tight-aggressive game, and makes her money from the tourists who underestimate her. One day she came into the Hilton and the poker room manager asked, "Are you here to take everyone's money again?" She cupped her hands as if holding an imaginary bowl, transformed her face into that of the saddest, most pathetic street beggar, cocked her head to one side, and plaintively replied, "No, I just want to make enough money to buy a little rice to feed my family." It's hard to convey how funny this was, coming from a player who often needs a wheelbarrow to cash out her winnings.

Another time she was obviously sick, coughing and sniffling, looking like hell. One of the dealers asked why she didn't just stay home that day. Annie looked at him as if he had just asked the world's stupidest question. She scrunched up her face and said, "Because I not dead YET."

I am now actually managing to eke out a decent living playing poker. I do love this game, but still, there are times, when I've been playing too many long sessions in a row, that Annie's answer is about the only one I can come up with for why I'm still sitting there, rather than being home in bed:

Because I'm not dead YET.

No comments: