Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Grump pwns a blogament (well, almost)





There seem to be all sorts of semi-private tournaments for poker bloggers these days. I don't enter many of them, because, as you know, online poker isn't really my thing, nor are multi-table tournaments. (I think single-table tournaments suit me better, as a general rule.) But once in a while I dip my toe into the water. With the blogaments, it's a good way to rub virtual elbows with other poker bloggers, learn about some blogs I haven't read before, tell a few of them about mine, etc.

Bodog has been running a series of $10 tourneys just for poker bloggers on Tuesday nights that will culminate in a World Series seat for the overall winner. (See here for details.) I'm not seriously trying for that, but this is the second time I've entered one of the weekly events. As you can see from the above, I entered the final table in second chip position, and finished third, which isn't too bad--much better than my usual performance in such things, and easily the best I've done in a bloggers-only event (which is why I'm posting about it).

Of course, I had to pull three all-in suckouts to make it (my 10-10 vs. A-A, my A-10 vs. 10-10, and my A-5 vs. A-K [but they were sooooted!]). I have a feeling that there are three poker bloggers out there right this minute writing bad-beat posts about the idiot that knocked them out of the tournament. On the other hand, I was also on the receiving end of a few similar situations (e.g., my J-J vs. A-10). So it all washes out in the end, more or less.

The other blogament choice tonight was part of the "skill series" on Full Tilt, but the event was Stud high, which I've never played before. Given how much I've been focusing on razz for my online poker lately, I thought it was pretty likely that I'd keep trying for hands like A-2-3-6-7, and think I was golden. Which might not work so well in straight stud.

No comments: