Monday, June 30, 2008

Mike Wilson






Since I'm generally a cold, unfeeling, cynical SOB (and a tad grumpy at times, or so I've been told), stories that most people find moving and inspirational tend to leave me saying, "Meh." In particular, stories about people getting by in life despite a disability don't do a lot for me. All the fuss about Hal Lubarsky, for example (who went deep in last year's WSOP Main Event despite being legally blind, and needing an assistant to read the cards for him) made me just roll my eyes. People have problems, they find ways of dealing with them, and in general I think it's both boring and mistaken to make a big deal about it. Hey, I'll admit it, I don't like most people that I meet, and the fact that somebody may have dealt successfully with some physical adversity doesn't make it any more likely that I'm going to find that person smart or funny or interesting.

But I have to admit that I enjoyed reading this story on PokerNews about a guy named Mike Wilson, despite its overblown rhetoric about him being heroically courageous and an inspiration to us all, blah, blah, blah. (Cue the violins here.) First, the nature of his disability is interesting to me as a former health-care professional. It's certainly not the everyday sort. (The article doesn't mention it, but both his age and the nature of the birth defect are suggestive of thalidomide. It sounds as though he was most likely born in Canada. But I don't know offhand if thalidomide was used in Canada the way it was in Great Britain.) Beyond that, though, is that he just sounds like the sort of person I would enjoy knowing: smart, funny, and interesting (my main three criteria for what makes somebody worth being friends with).

So read it and make up your own mind. If you find Mr. Wilson's story inspirational, fine. I don't, particularly. But I do find it interesting, which, for me, is a far more important quality.

2 comments:

Mr. Fabulous said...

Generally, I agree with what you say about the game of poker and the morons who usually choose to play.....always at my table it seems.

But to take the time to write a post that (for the most part)diminishes what some people have accomplised in spite of a physical defect seems cruel and unjustified. You mentioned Hal Lubarsky. As you have pointed out, watching what your opponent does trying to glean information from their mannerisms is an important tool. Mr. Lubarsky went as deep as he did without this information. I, for one, was highly impressed.

I just feel you could have pointed out your interest in Mr. Wilson's story without first devaluing what individuals like
himself have accomplished despite their limitations.

I understand that it is your blog and your opinion, but I was disheartened to read something like this from someone whom I generally agree with, and who is generally on point with their observations.

Anonymous said...

That was a great article!

I enjoy seeing or reading about people who continue to enjoy life and are upbeat regardless of any disabilities they have.

I run into people on a daily basis constantly complaining about anything and everything of the littlest nature and feeling sorry for themselves.

They are free to complain and live as miserable life as they want to, but I find enjoying life, being positive about what I have and am able to do, is much more rewarding than being a chronic complainer.