Friday, July 10, 2009

By the skin of his teeth





It's pretty rare that I relate a poker hand just because I took a bad beat or otherwise had an unlucky, undesirable outcome. But once in a great while, what happened is just so... WRONG that it deserves a bit of public scolding of the poker gods for their sick sense of humor. I think this one from the Rio yesterday qualifies.

Playing $1-3 NLHE, I was in middle position with the two black eights. I limped in, as did two others behind me. The small blind raised to $10. This was a tight, mostly passive, completely straightforward, not particularly strong player, making his range here pretty narrow and predictable: big pair, maybe A-K, not much else. I was fairly confident that the other two would come along for the ride after me without reraising (three-bets at this table were scarce), so I called.

The set-mining worked. Flop was 8h-7h-5c. Top set. Nice! However, that board is a little draw-heavy for comfort, especially since the button is a young, tricky Scandi. Small blind bet out $30. I don't think he would do this with A-K on a board like this against three opponents from out of position, unless maybe it was Ah-Kh, so he's pretty much nailed as the overpair here. No way did this guy raise pre-flop from the blind with one of the only two hands that has me beat (4-6 or 6-9 for a straight).

Much as I might like to milk this situation, I decide it's just too dangerous to let the others stay in cheaply, and instead I'll go for the isolation. I raise to $90. Third player folds quickly. Scandi dude takes a long time to muck--most likely a non-nut flush draw, I think. Small blind thinks for maybe ten seconds, then moves all-in for something like an extra $50 on top of my bet--but he has the look of doom and defeat on his face, and does this with a big sigh of resignation.

As predicted, when I call he shows me the two red aces. He winces when he sees my cards, but it's a look that says, "That's what I was afraid of." He's drawing to two outs, or some runner-runner miracle.

Turn was an offsuit 9. Nice, as that kills his backdoor flush possibility.

River: 6 of spades, putting a 9-high straight on the board. Chop it up. We each make about $7 on the hand, after rake and tip.

Gaaaaaaaaaaaa! Who invented this stupid game, anyway?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That's poker. :-)

dbcooper said...

I can relate Grump. I had one that ended chopping a 350.00 pot. I had pocket Kings, he had pocket queens. Both all in after the flop. Flop was 444. Turn was Ace, River another 4. Chop Chop. He was happy. I was stunned......... Oh well could have been worse

David Frier said...

Didn't Ivey suck out like this? IIRC he was against AA, flop 77A, Ivey drawing dead, turn 7, river 7, chop.

Matthew Yauch said...

Same exact thing happened to this poor guy at Caesar's in the Mega Stack Championship. Flops top set and another guy gets all-in with a gutshot only. Runner runner straight on the board to chop a huge pot.

Anonymous said...

better than river ace though right?


gowhitesox99