Sunday, July 19, 2009

Collusion

Playing this afternoon at the Luxor I witnessed the most flagrant instance of collusion I've ever seen.

A boyfriend/girlfriend couple were occupying Seats 9 and 10, respectively. He was obviously a lot more experienced than she was. He was also the table big stack, with $600 or so.

In the hand in question, she was under the gun, and moved all in for her last $26. I was in Seat 1 and folded. The guy in Seat 2 called. He had a stack of $200 or so. Action then folded around to boyfriend in Seat 9. He announced, "All in," as he tossed out the $26 for the call. This prompted Seat 2 to fold.

OK, so maybe he has a hand like pocket jacks and wants to isolate and not have to play after the flop. Kind of an extreme way of accomplishing it, but within the realm of reason.

What followed, though, was not. As soon as Seat 2 had folded, Seat 9 threw his cards face down into the muck, without even waiting to see what his girlfriend had. She passed her cards back to the dealer face down as he pushed her the pot.

In effect, the boyfriend had given his girlfriend his own $26, plus Seat 2's $26. Of course, he ran the small risk that Seat 2 was slow-playing aces or kings and it would cost him, but he apparently decided that an easy triple-up for his woman was worth taking that chance.

I was not terribly surprised that the dealer--Frank, whose incompetence and unprofessional demeanor I've talked about before--said and did nothing. I was surprised, though, that Seat 2 didn't protest. He did, however, pick up his chips and leave in a pretty obviously disgusted mood.

What should have happened? The dealer should have alerted the floor. In my opinion, the floor should have given Seat 2 his $26 back from the pot, then booted the couple out of the room--or at least the boyfriend. I have no way of knowing if they have done this before, or if she knew what he was planning. But for the sake of the integrity of the game, they obviously can't be allowed to play together, and he clearly cheated. Her guilt is not as obvious, but I can tell you that she didn't look one bit surprised when her man mucked his cards, surrendering the pot without a showdown. If a friend of mine did that, I would be so aghast that I can't imagine I'd be able to avoid it showing.

This continues to be one of the worst-managed poker rooms in town.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So why do you continue to frequent these establishments?

The Poker Meister said...

I understand the situation. However, having been in a spot like that (not same circumstances, but general issues at the table), where I am not involved in the pot, what is the proper etiquette at the table? Obviously the dealer is terrible, but is it your place to complain? On the other hand, if you don't, you are likely to be the next person that gets shafted.

SN8 said...

I don't think I could have kept quiet after that happened. How did the rest of the table react?

29/f/nyc said...

I think what he shoulda done was pay attention and make them show before mucking but clearly he doesn't respect the great game of poker enough to give a shit and pay attention. Anywho post mucking, chips have been shoved and those involved did not protest, I'd say you shouldnt give chips back.
definitely wouldnt continue to play there.
Peace out.

Anonymous said...

Why didnt you say something? I would have.

Mike said...

Grump, I cannot agree with more: even though Luxor's games are soft, their dealers and management are terrible. Last time I was there they were two players constantly discussing the hand in progress during the hand and giving each other advices. Of course, dealers did nothing about it even after I pointed out the obvious. I got up and went to MBay where I could appreciate the good dealers.