Wednesday, July 29, 2009

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din

A few months ago I wrote a self-congratulatory post about having beaten Cardgrrl in a best-of-five series of online HORSE heads-up sit-and-go tournaments. Shortly thereafter, she won the next match and posted about it here.

There were some others that ensued, then we had a months-long hiatus, mostly because of scheduling conflicts and doing more single-table HORSE SNGs instead of heads-up.

Today we finally got back to the heads-up format, and she reminded me (1) of the first post, and (2) that I had not posted about subsequent results. (I had actually forgotten about the post--in fact, it had been so long that I was even confused whether we had played HORSE or NLHE. I may have early Alzheimer's.)

She suggested that my subsequent silence was because I had lost. I'm not sure that's entirely true. I think that I would have stopped blogging about the results even if I had won, for reasons that I won't detail--but primarily, if I'm being honest, it was because I didn't feel especially proud of myself for having gloated at her expense the first time. I don't allow myself the luxury of going back and rewriting posts with the advantage of later perspective (I'll fix a typo if I catch one on a later rereading, but that's it). But if I did, that's one I would either delete or revise in tone.

But that said, it's time I make it known publicly that every time after the first that we have done series of either three or five games, Cardgrrl has won. Today it was two for two. I'm not sure what the total number of matches has been--five, maybe six? So this is my public acknowledgement that she has consistently gotten the better of me in these things, and must be recognized as the better player--a recognition I make freely, humbly, and fondly, without grudge or resentment.

I bow to my superior friend, while still hoping to make a long-term comeback in the series.

No comments: