Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New books




I haven't purchased any books in months, which is a little out of character for me. So today I remedied that with the above order--with free shipping, even! The first item is brand new, just made available yesterday. The second has been out for months, and I'm slightly embarrassed not to have bought my copy well before now--but better late than never. The authors, in case you don't know, are my friends and proprietors of the fine poker blogs here and here, respectively.

Frankly, I think Pauly has a little splainin' to do on why he charges 8.8 cents per page, while Martin's fee is a more modest 6.1 cents per page. Truth may or may not be stranger than fiction, but it apparently costs more. :-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Strange that I bought the same two books today as well. Hopefully a few more follow suit.

Pauly said...

Thanks for buying a copy. Stop by the Rio and I will sign your copy.

Since you requested that I explain myself, I will...

It took me five years to write the book. No matter how many copies I sell, I still won't break even considering the amount of money that I invested into this self-published project. I lost thousands of dollars in freelance assignments that I had to decline while taking time off to write this book. But, that was a small price to make this book possible.

With that said, it might seem like a lot per page, but it's really not. The entire publishing business is a complete shakedown. You'd be surprised how much Shamus and I actually make per book after editor's fees, printing costs, LuLu's cut and other nickled & dimed expenses, and those bloody taxes to the government.

The more I think about it, I should have charged more.

Anyway, I hope this clarifies everything for ya. Thanks again for the plug and for buying the book.

Rakewell said...

Well now I'm embarrassed. I didn't mean that "splainin'" thing seriously at all. I just happened to notice that the slightly shorter book cost a little more, and thought it was mildly amusing. I have followed your travails (at least those you have made public) over the writing, editing, and publishing of the book, so I know what an enormous investment of time and energy it has been. I don't begrudge you a single dime of the price--honestly. I'm sorry if I made you feel at all defensive about it; it was just meant as a dumb joke.

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

Thanks, PokerGrump & Kevmath!