Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Shoe clerk

I was just reading the column by John Vorhaus in the June 30, 2010, issue of Card Player magazine (vol. 23, #13), p. 74. I was intrigued by his use of a term I don't recall having run across previously:

[Y]ou open an unraised pot for $20, which is not a bad raise with pocket aces,
since you want to thin the field, ideally to just one player, and a bet of four
times the big blind will drive out most of the shoe clerks.

It's not hard to tell the intended meaning from context, but I wanted to see if this is something idiosyncratic to Vorhaus, or more widely recognized. I quickly found this definition, here:

shoe clerk
(n phrase) 1. A player who does not stay for a raise
(with the implication that he is dropping out of fear) or, particularly in a
no-limit game, for any large bet. 2. Someone who is not serious about playing a particular pot, and thus will not call a raise. For example, for
definitions 1 and 2, you might hear an aggressive player say, “Let’s raise and
get the shoe clerks out.” Also known as ribbon clerk. 3. A weak player.
So there ya go.

Where did it come from ? I don't know. The obvious guess is that a shoe clerk is somebody who is always bending over, reaching to the floor, so by analogy a player who has dregs for a hand. But perhaps it came from the insinuation of weakness, a shoe clerk not being considered the manliest of occupations.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

My dad always used this term. I thought it came from the guys who actually worked as shoe clerks and didn't get paid very much and therefore couldn't afford any real action in a game. Nice blog btw.

Alex said...

Not manly? I give you Al Bundy

CRS said...

My first thought was that it means a player who will play any hand if it's cheap enough, hoping to find a hit; In the same way a shoe clerk makes his sales by hauling dozens of pairs from the stock room until the customer finds one that fits.

Memphis MOJO said...

I believe it comes from bridge. I know it's been around since I learned to play back in the Sixties and they use to to mean a random (bad) player.

Quite a few poker players started out as bridge players (among other things), and my guess is that's where it came from.