Monday, October 08, 2012

Today's great political observation

From A. Barton Hinkle, writing in the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

Conservatives were so busy supporting Bush's expansion of war powers that they let him betray their small-government principles in domestic affairs. Liberals have been so happy to see Obama expand government's domestic scope that they have let him betray their values on civil liberties and war powers. In the process, each side has come off looking like a bunch of partisan cheerleaders who care about certain issues only when it's politically convenient. 
That's the thing about principles. If you don't try to apply them consistently, then people are apt to conclude you don't really have any.
Well said, sir.

(Countdown to cries for this blog to "stick to poker" in 3, 2, 1....)


4 comments:

Yakshi said...

Unfortunately the government is not a quarter as big as it should be.

Good fold with bottom set in your last post.

Anonymous said...

Stick to Poker, as long as it is in a government approved/taxed/regulated environment. don't you dare try to play somewhere that is not approved by one of these two governing parties.

civil liberties are for wimps.

Anonymous said...

Stick to whatever topic you feel like.

You're more interesting when you stick to poker though.

Anonymous said...

I don't disagree, but as a self-described liberal, I'm not entirely sure what I can do to keep Obama from betraying my trust on civil liberties. I'm disappointed, but not surprised - he more or less said this stuff going in, and I had my eyes open.

It's more accurate to say that I chose to vote for the candidate who more closely matched my views - but nobody matches my views 100%. I think it's unrealistic to think that you can only vote for someone with whom you agree completely.