Monday, October 06, 2008

New (?) feature at South Point





South Point is another perfectly nice and profitable poker room that I don't get to much because of its distance. But as long as I was at Silverton, South Point is just a couple of miles further down Las Vegas Boulevard, so I gave them another visit.

They have a new thing up on the wall. Or maybe it has been there a long time and I just never noticed it before. I'm capable of an astounding degree of obliviousness about my surroundings. Anyway, I don't even know what to call it--a wall hanging, maybe. It's a large black surface that was signed by many (all?) of the participants in one of the seasons of GSN's "High Stakes Poker" (I'm guessing Season 3).

The problem is, it's difficult to both see and photograph. They did a terrible job of hanging it, because there is an awful glare from the overhead lights, no matter where you stand. It's hard to see to start with, because inexplicably they had the players sign with a very faint white ink on a black background. In the photos above, you can just barely see that there is anything written at all. From a distance, it basically looks like a solid black, well, thing, without apparent purpose. It's only when you get close that you can figure out that it's a collection of signatures.

Since I can't get good pictures of it, I guess you'll all just have to stop out there and take a look yourselves. Still, it was nice to see something that made me look forward to being treated to yet another season of my favorite poker show.

The fish bit back at South Point tonight. Lost two buy-ins. First I flopped a flush with Q-9 of spades in my hand and 10-6-2 of spades on the flop, and succumbed to a runner-runner full house. (He had A-6, including the ace of spades, so he was going for the nut flush, picked up an ace on the turn for two pairs, then caught a third 6 on the river. I correctly guessed that he was going for the higher flush, and would have shut down if another spade hit, but the extra danger his hand held with the pairs/full house was a complete blindside.) Then my pocket tens were happy to see an all-baby flop, so I moved all-in, an overbet of the pot, but still got called by a flush draw, which came on the river. So it wasn't any harder getting my money in good than it had been at Silverton--just didn't work out right. That's the way some sessions are, inevitably.

Incidentally, South Point recently announced plans for a major expansion of its poker room. They seem to be making a push to grab a bigger slice of the local players' market. See here for details.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That black surface looks a whole lot like a poker table felt to me.

Paboo

gr7070 said...

Anyone know if a new season of HSP is ever going to be made?

Google gets me conflicting stories and many dates gone by.

Rakewell said...

Yes. See http://pokerontv.blogspot.com/2008/09/gsn-talks-high-stakes-poker-and-lyle.html.

Rakewell said...

Paboo: It's about the right size, but up close it looks shiny and smooth, nothing like felt. But maybe it is, and the glass over it gives it that appearance. I don't recall them using black felt in the show, though.

Anonymous said...

It IS the felt from High Stakes Poker.The plastic covering is suppose to be glare proof. We have tride special lighting, blu lights etc, nothing seems to work. It was a good idea at the time. Steve