Sunday, November 02, 2008

Poker gems, #180

Bob Ciaffone, in Card Player magazine column, November 5, 2008 (vol. 21, #22), pp. 66-68.


I am not one to do much talking at the table when in a hand. However, some of my students who are fine poker players and find themselves confronted with a big bet like to try engaging the opponent in conversation. What surprises me is that they are successful in getting the opponent to start talking! And if the opponent gets to talking, he often gives the show away--especially if he is not bluffing. I of course see this kind of talking to the bettor, and see it getting replies. Most of the time, I can get a strong feeling one way or the other, and formulate an opinion on how a bet should be answered. So, my advice is to get the opponent talking when he bets, and keep your mouth shut when you bet.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Do you ever talk to get information out of the villain when he's made a huge bet and you don't know what to do? How do you do it?

(I know that's a dumb question, but I don't seem to be able to know what to say, even though I'm sure it's a good thing to do.)

Rakewell said...

I'm the wrong one to ask. I never bothering trying.