Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Seen at the Venetian




The guy pictured above was in a limit game (probably $4-8, but I didn't check for sure) at the table next to mine at the Venetian tonight. He had such an impressive wall of chips (all white $1 chips) that I had to snap a photo of it. He cashed out maybe half an hour later, and was carrying six racks to the cashier.

I'm not sure if he just likes sheer volume, or if he has never heard of "coloring up."





This was my table. You can see, first, the new felt that the V has in place to promote "The Real Deal" show. (BTW, I expect to snag some free tickets one of these days, and of course I'll issue a full report of the experience here.)

Second, you can see the weird card protector being used by the guy in the background (the one too immersed in reading Fast Food Nation to actually pay attention to the hand he's in). It's hard to make out, but it's a clear red plastic giraffe. Things got stranger, though. A while later, I looked up and noticed that he was now using a blue one, though otherwise identical. And within an hour, that had changed to a green one. This guy carries around at least three colored giraffes and rotates them as his card caps. Don't ask me why. Poker players are strange people.


Addendum, November 13, 2008

Sharp-eyed reader "Topset" suggests in the comments that the player with the giraffes is Kevin O'Leary. I hadn't heard of him before that I can recall, but upon seeing his photo in the Poker Pages entry on him, I can confirm Topset's hunch. That's him, all right.

He had an interesting style. His requirements for putting in a pre-flop raise were approximately these:

Being on the button
Being one off the button
Being two off the button
Being in the small blind
Being in the big blind
Having put in a straddle under the gun
Having an ace
Having a face card
Having two cards

But at least on that night, his hyperaggressive style was not working particularly well. The table adjusted to his mania, and after having accumulated a biggish stack for a while, he was in a pretty clear death spiral downward by the time I left.

6 comments:

Jordan said...

I usually carry two card caps with me when I play. I try not to be superstitious and I know that they are not really lucky or unlucky, but if things aren't going well, I'll change them up. I don't really know why. I guess it is psychologically soothing.

Mike G said...

I've heard that small plastic card protector animals are effective at keeping away womenfolk.

Unknown said...

Mountains of chips are fun. I'm not a fan of the wall, but I've been known to build a ziggaraut on occasion. Bless 4-8.

Topset said...

I think you'll find the guy in question with the giraffe is Kevin O'Leary one of Englands top Tournament players.He recently won the Caesars Mega Stack event for over $270K

Topset said...

I think you'll find the guy with the giraffes is Kevin O'Leary,one of Englands best Tournament players.
He recently won Caesars MegaStack event for over $270K

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am indeed Kevin O'Leary, and I'll happily put a few points in the light for clarification for the curious.

The reason I was so immersed in the book is because it happens to be a great read on the US addiction to junk food. The reason I was paying little attention to the game is becuase it was as dull as dishwater despite my attempts to liven it up.

I did indeed win the Caesars main event, plus a WSOP cash, and a Venetian deepstack event the previous year. I've been a full time player for 9 years and am not going to lose too much sleep over a bad session of 1/2 or 2/5.

The reason I use the giraffes and rotate them, is because a staggeringly large number of people think it is one giraffe that actually changes colour. Whilst no malice is intended, I am often amused at how gullible some folk are. It amuses me, but I'm English and we see humour differently perhaps.

On a final note, I'm glad to see that you have my playing style all figured out. I look forward to the next riveting encounter, when I shall again attempt to outdraw any rocks in the pot purely for my own amusement, whilst never passing derisory comments on anyone else's play.

Regards,

Kevin O'Leary