Saturday, May 23, 2009

Can't run good forever

I had a chance today to win a second WSOP donkament seat in the PokerListings bloggers' freeroll "Run Good Challenge."

It started off well enough, with a chop of the very first hand:




Took a big leap forward in chips (though at the cost of some aspersions as to my play) when calling down Sir Al as follows:





But then I made my critical error. Dan bet on the flop, I raised, he shoved. Stacks were such that I could have let it go. I should have. In fact, I knew at the time that I should have. I'll spare you the stupid inner monologue that convinced me to click the "call" button instead of doing what I knew was right.



But despite the setback, I started chipping up, and was back to 1150 or so when I had this confrontation, all-in preflop:




The coup de grace came in a truly fugly way. All the mobneys went in on this flop, only to see my opponent catch runner-runner flush on me. Bleah.




I was out in 22nd place, of 25 entrants. Not a very impressive showing. It was obviously a combination of bad luck and bad play--not exactly a winning formula.

Sigh. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. [Snark!]*


*Just last night ran across Annette Obrestad using that phrase in apparent non-ironic earnestness, here. Is she as thoughtless with her words as Vanessa Rousso?

1 comment:

EDakaEH said...

I think the "It wasn't meant to be" is a comment to protect their ego. It's easier to say that then I played bad/they played better then me.