Sunday, May 17, 2009

Celebrity sighting




Soon after starting a session at Mandalay Bay today, I noticed a guy playing very erratically. He was making bets and calls that made no sense. For example, on the river he had two pair but check-raised a tight player who just had to have a straight, because there were four consecutive cards on the board. The odd thing was that it was a minimum check-raise, virtually guaranteed a call or a reraise. Very peculiar. (Actually, because of the complete inscrutibility of his actions, I completely misread him at one point and he took most of my first buy-in. So once in a while it did benefit him.) He was even quieter than me; I'm not sure he ever uttered a word in the hour or so I was at the table with him.

Finally he lost most of his stack and was ready to leave. He pushed his last $35 or so to the dealer. The dealer understandably assumed the guy was trying to cash out, pushed the chips back, and directed him to the desk. The player, though, said, "No, man, that's a tip for you." Now that was peculiar--a tip that size upon leaving a $1-2 game, after losing his last hand?

After he was out of earshot, one of the other players commented on how odd that was. Somebody else said, "That was Adrian Peterson. He doesn't care about the money."

Apparently that one other player and I were the only clueless ones there. I had never even heard of Adrian Peterson, let alone be able to recognize him. I was a little embarrassed to learn that he played for the Vikings, since I moved here from the Twin Cities three years ago. Now, however, upon arriving home, I read that he joined the team the year after I left, so maybe I can be forgiven for my ignorance--although, to tell the truth, it's entirely possible that I still wouldn't have heard of him even if I had stayed in Minnesota.

Anyway, I am led to understand that he is something of a superstar in the NFL. If you had not previously been able to judge the level of complete inattention and apathy that I have for sports, maybe this will tell you.

Those who had been at the table longer than I had been said that he spewed around $1000 over two or three hours. Dang--wish I had been there to take a chunk of it.

So I had a celebrity sighting today, and didn't even know it until it was over.

3 comments:

gowhitesox99 said...

GRUMP!!! FOR SHAME!!!

He set the rushing record vs the Bears a year or 2 back, it was embarrasing. That's fun you got to play with him, he prolly liked it that no one recognized him. I would have recognized him in a sec, then said thanks to him for shredding my beloved Bears.

Snuffy said...

As a former Minnesotan myself I am embarrassed for you!

Gerry said...

As another former Minnesotan I agree with Snuffy. I had a serious man crush on him even before I found out he's a good tipper and smart enough to not be a major donater in the bigger games available to his bankroll.

He ran roughshod over the Bears that year but his record is against the Chargers.