Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Why is Caesars lying to its guests?




I played poker at Caesars Palace this afternoon. On my way in, which requires a walk past the sports book, I noticed this sign. Actually, I've seen it there other times, too, but just not thought much about it.

If I had seen such a sign three years ago, it would not have surprised me. I remember the Hilton security people being absolutely fanatical about people being on cell phones in the sports book area, even if they were obviously just passing through quickly and paying no attention to the Big Board of Betting Lines.

But such a sign is out of place now, because the Nevada Gaming Commission repealing the regulation cited (22.135) in August, 2008. You can see the letter announcing this on the state's own web site, here.

That means that Caesars Palace, by continuing to have this sign out, is engaging in an ongoing lie to its patrons.

Why are you doing that, Caesars?

6 comments:

Rob C said...

The sign said that you cannot use your phone to provide betting info. It doesnt say anything about using your phone in general. Im pretty sure its still illegal to place bets for someone over the phone, namely across state lines.

NoLimitDoc said...

My brothe in law is a big wig at the Caesars sports book and so I forwarded him this link; his response:

"hey dom, the sign is correct, the rule before was no cell phones at all, u can now use a cell phone as long as u are not transmitting race & sports information which is what the sign says, the same rule applies for laptops"

Rakewell said...

NLD:

But the sign cites as its authority a regulation that was repealed two years ago. How is that honest?

NoLimitDoc said...

I imagine its an old sign and since the meat of the message is don't use your electronic devices for sports betting related activities, they probably didn't bother to change it. I'll tell my brother in law to grab a sharpie and run over it! ;)

dan michalski said...

lazy and inaccurate is probably a better description:

http://gaming.nv.gov/documents/pdf/industry_ltr_187.pdf

costs money to make new signs, i guess. but you'd think their high-priced lawyers wouldn't want them telling customers a law exists that doesn't.

Anonymous said...

Harrah's Race and Sports personnel are some of the most incompetent in the entire industry.