Saturday, July 02, 2011

Team Full Tilt



Here's something that has been puzzling me about this year's World Series of Poker: Why are some members of Team Full Tilt playing and others not?

First I have to be clear about who I'm talking about. The number of pros sponsored in some form by Full Tilt is bewildering, and they use a system of different labels that makes sense to almost nobody outside the family: There's the CardRunner bunch, the Hendon Mob, something called "Team Limpers," then a whole raft of "pros" and nearly as long a list of "friends."

I'm not talking about any of these lesser folks. I'm talking about those at the top of the hierarchy. The official "Team Full Tilt" consists of Howard Lederer, Phil Ivey, Chris Ferguson, John Juanda, Jennifer Harman, Phil Gordon, Erick Lindgren, Erik Seidel, Andy Bloch, Mike Matusow, Gus Hansen, Allen Cunningham, Patrik Antonius, and Tom Dwan. See the list and bios here. (Interestingly, while all the other categories of FTP pros are listed alphabetically, this group is not. I suspect this ordering reflects something about power and/or controlling interest in the company, but who knows?)

Of those, I know that Juanda, Harman, Lindgren, Matusow, Cunningham, and Dwan have been playing many tournaments at the WSOP. Ivey is famously abstaining, while he sues his (former?) friends. I believe that Lederer, Ferguson, Gordon, Seidel, Bloch, Hansen, and Antonius have not made appearances, though I could be wrong about some of those; I'm just basing this on who I've seen news stories about, and maybe one or two of them are playing but without any success so far that would bring them to my attention. In an ordinary year, we would have seen all of them out in force, though some (e.g., Lederer, Gordon) typically play fewer events than the others.

My curiosity is about what distinguishes those who are playing in 2011 from those who are not. It could be nothing deeper than personal preferences--who is willing to endure the questions and criticisms and anger from a big room full of pissed-off former customers who all want their money back?

But there are other possible answers. Maybe what distinguishes the players from the non-players reveals something about the ownership structure of the company, and those with enough controlling interest to be worried about criminal indictments are laying low. Maybe it has to do with who had so much of their bankroll on deposit with FTP that they're stuck being unable to buy in now, like lots of other ordinary players. Maybe it depends on what advice they have each individually received from their attorneys and/or PR people.

I don't know the answer, but I sure would be interested in finding out.

7 comments:

The Neophyte said...

I believe that the 2 with the biggest ownership stake in FT are Howard Lederer and Chris Ferguson. Haven't heard anything about either of them. Most of the rest held smaller stakes I think or were just sponsored pros like Dwan and Matusow. Of course I could be wrong. Seidel has played and cashed in 3 tourneys. Hansen cashed in 3rd in the Heads Up at the beginning of the WSOP. Gordon plays very little it seems. Cunningham and Lindgren have played some, I saw pictures of both in at least 2 or 3 tourneys. Bloch cashed in one tourney but I wonder about Antonius. Haven't seen anything on him. Was he a major owner as well? Could explain why he hasn't been seen. As a foreigner he should have been able to get money out still. Or maybe he is quietly pulling an Ivey without the lawsuit.

Memphis MOJO said...

If I were Howard Lederer, I'd be ashamed to show my face, too.

Big-O said...

Howard Lederer is scheduled to appear at the Golden Nugget Grand Series poolside party on July 4th. I suspect Nugget security will be in full force.
This event has been scheduled for a long time so if Howard doesn't appear I guess that's kinda telling.
Fireworks are scheduled, however seems to me that there may be more than just one kind of fireworks at that party if Howard appears.

http://www.goldennugget.com/lasvegas/pdf/gps_2011.pdf

Missingflops said...

For what it's worth, it was reported that the Ivey lawsuit was dismissed this week. A check of online court records does, in fact, reveal that a notice of voluntary dismissal without prejudice was filed with the Court last Thursday. A copy of the document likely won't be available till some time next week at the earliest due to a lag in getting court document images posted in the online database. The "without prejudice" designation means that the suit can technically be brought again, but this act could definitely be corroboration for the rumors that are out there of a deal being reached for Full Tilt to get some capital and start paying people back.

ASG said...

Gordon was there to announce some charity thing and played in at least one event. Seidel's been around a bunch but hasn't really made much noise (I think he's cashed in only one).

ASG said...

Sorry, Seidel came in 3rd in event #3 and cashed in 2 others (24,33).

Wolynski said...

The only ones I haven't seen are Lederer, Ferguson & Bloch.