Monday, January 30, 2012

What the hell is the problem at Bluff magazine?






A few weeks ago I poked fun at Bluff magazine for having this mess of a headline in the December issue: "IF YOUR GOING TAKE MONEY, IT MAY AS WELL BE FROM THESE GUYS."

Little did I know that this was just the beginning of an epidemic of bad headlines in that publication. The three images above are scans of pages from the January, 2012, issue. If one wanted to be picky, one could gripe about a couple of others, too, involving the use (or lack thereof) of a comma here or a hyphen there. But I'm not including those, since they are arguably correct, depending on the exact sense that was intended, and they are at worst small errors.

These three, however, are just glaringly wrong. The first say, "...A COUPLE MORE TO ON THE WAY." My guess is that this originally read, "A COUPLE MORE TO GO." Somebody then decided to alter it to "A COUPLE MORE ON THE WAY," but failed to delete the now-unneeded "TO."

The second and third examples are even more embarrassing, because they obviously result not just from a bit of oversight, but from some chucklehead at the magazine who actually does not know the difference between your and you're. I hope it's the same lamebrain who was responsible for the error in the December issue, as I'd hate to think Bluff has two such sixth-grade dropouts on its paid staff.

Hey, Lance Bradley: You are listed as the editor-in-chief. Do you know what it means to edit?Here's the most relevant portion of Merriam-Webster's online dictionary definition:
1c : to alter, adapt, or refine especially to bring about conformity to a standard or to suit a particular purpose
(Emphasis added.)

Is this not your job? Do you have any idea how unprofessional this makes the magazine look?

I like Bluff. I really do. I read it faithfully and look forward to new issues hitting the poker room stands. But jeez, guys, this is really terrible work.

5 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

It hurts my eyes.

bastinptc said...

Poker lit is in same toilet as poker economy in general. You get what you pay for, staff included.

Anonymous said...

As an English major, I notice numerous typos and grammar errors in every edition.

I have never seen this in a mainstream pub.

hfrog355 said...

It's just embarrassing. How do you get a job working for a magazine and not know how to spell basic words?

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you don't have a problem with the first one stating that "Like ALWAYS.. There's ALWAYS a chance."
Every time I see something like this, I can't stand it every time.