Friday, May 25, 2007

Yet another dealer who doesn't know procedures

I promise I'm not going to turn this blog into a one-note song about dealers who don't know the rules, but it's really irritating.

Yesterday at Caesars Palace I was dealt what's known (for reasons that escape me) as a "boxed card"--one that the Shufflemaster had accidentally turned face-up in the deck. It did not flip over during the deal. The dealer announced that it woud become the burn card.

This isn't the standard procedure. The usual means of dealing with this is to treat it as if it were an extraneous piece of paper--not even an actual card--that got stuck in the deck. It is shown to the table and then goes in the muck. It does not become the burn card, as would occur if the card flipped over during the pitch. I really don't know why a boxed card is treated differently from a card inadvertantly exposed during the deal, but it is. (If anybody can provide a rational explanation in the comments section, I'd appreciate learning the reason.)

Anyway, I asked the dealer if she was sure that the boxed card should become the burn card. She emphatically answered yes. (A couple of other players chimed in to agree with her, but it never surprises me that players don't know details of the rules.) As with the previous incident involving the amount of a raise, I really didn't care very much, so I didn't protest further or ask for a floor decision. But after the hand, I went to the floor person and asked, because, again, for all I know, Caesar's might have some idiosyncratic house rule under which the dealer was correct. But no, they use the standard procedure, I was told.

A boxed card is not rare. I would guess that an average dealer sees it happen once a shift or so. So how long has this dealer been following an erroneous procedure, 100% confident that she was doing it right?

I may never understand how people develop such confidence in their mistakes that they're unable or unwilling to experience any sense of self-doubt when questioned, and unable or unwilling to ask for clarification from a supervisor.

No comments: