Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Unclear on the concept

A couple of us at the table at Binion's last night were talking about the upcoming freeroll tournament. Another guy had seen the sign for it, but wasn't sure about the details. He asked me, "How much does it cost to buy into that freeroll tournament?"

I am not of the school of thought that claims there are no stupid questions. There are stupid questions, and this was one of them. In fact, it exceeded the amount of stupidity that I can address without sarcasm and/or condescension entering into my answer. This guy got the latter.

I told him, "It doesn't cost anything. That's why it's called a FREEroll."

He replied, without a trace of humor in his voice, "Oh, I guess that's why I couldn't find what the entry fee was."

Yeah, dude--that's probably the reason, all right.

Long ago (probably about 20 years ago, in fact), I read in a magazine (I think it was CoEvolution Quarterly, later renamed Whole Earth Review) a great article that explained the Laws of Stupidity. The First Law of Stupidity states that there is always more stupidity in the world than you think. The Second Law of Stupidity states that, even after you take the First Law of Stupidity into account, there is still always more stupidity in the world than you think.

This guy proved the point.


Addendum

Immediately after publishing the above post, it occurred to me that surely somebody has put that old article on the Laws of Stupidity up on the Internet. Sure enough, here it is. I see that it was published in 1987, so I was right about the time frame. (That's because I remember where I was living when I read it, which narrowed it down quite a bit.) I was way off in my memory of what the laws are, though. Apparently I thought a lot about his First Law, and over time its implications sort of morphed in my mind to being two separate laws, when really what I have written as two laws is just one. But to tell you the truth, I like my way of stating it better than the original.

6 comments:

Wine Guy said...

You have to remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid people..

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

What are the penalties for breaking the law of stupidity?

--Concerned

Anonymous said...

Poker Guy is close.

I heard it 1st on an ESPN commercial and Chris Berman (acting as a teacher in a classroom) responded to a query with:

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid PEOPLE who ask questions".

I have used that line more often than that commercial ran, without a doubt. CLASSIC STUFF!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I guess I'm in the stupid club. When I first started playing poker and saw "freeroll", I got it, but barely. I never understood where the "role" part came from.

Why not just call it "Free Tournament"?

Rakewell said...

Flea:

I have always assumed, but do not know, that it is borrowed from dice games--you're being given a free roll of the dice, so to speak. But it also might come from mechanics. A "free-rolling" wheel, for example, is one that is not powered or constrained, so it can spin freely in either direction.

Steve Rohwer said...

Grump,

There’s also a concept TANSTAFFL: There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch (or a freeroll).

"It doesn't cost anything. That's why it's called a FREEroll."

So I can just walk in an play? Cool. Oh wait, there’s an hours requirement. I see, so it costs 25 hours of play.

What’s the minimum buy in at Binion’s these days, $60? By his comments it appears that he’s a novice (you don’t write about his play, so I’m guessing here) so he would probably burn through that pretty quickly. I know I do. Let’s be generous, say he lasts a couple of hours. Let’s be generous and also say he breaks even a couple of times. It’s still at least couple hundred for a free roll.

I know that you’re working to play in a freeroll at Binion's. What’s your bankroll for that? Would you call it “free”?

99% of the time I agree with what you grump about. But this time you were, in my opinion, well, wrong. Being a novice and being stupid aren’t the same thing. It would have been just as easy to say “it doesn’t cost any money, but you have to play 25 hours or win a regular tournament.” You could have been a good guy, done a little teaching, welcome a new fish, um, player to the game. Instead you chose to show the guy what an idiot you thought he was.