Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Close but no cigar



Binion's tonight. Shorthanded game, very passive, lots of checking. I limp in with suited A-2. No betting on the flop or turn. Final board is 8-8-5-6-5, no flush possible. One guy finally bets $5. Two others fold. I'm last to act. I decide to call, because I don't think he has a boat or straight. I think we're most likely chopping. (Yeah, I know, bad plan to call for a possible chop, but it was $5. So sue me.) He turns over 7-3. I assume it was a bluff. I show my ace for the win.

As the dealer starts to push the miniscule pot my way, my opponent says, "Hey, wait. Don't I have 5-6-7-8?"

I look him square in the eye and say, "Yes, sir, you do," and continue stacking the chips.

It takes him a few seconds, including the ever-popular counting on his fingers. Then: "Oh, I guess that's not enough."

He had the good sense to laugh at his own mistake, along with the rest of the table.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I was going to post the same thing Graeme did. I should have just duplicated his post exactly.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....you mean a small straight is no good at the poker table...DAMN YOU YAHTZEE!!

Anonymous said...

I've had four card straights before.

Not good for the bank roll. :)