Friday, July 31, 2009

The theory of poker relativity

If you start off a poker session digging yourself a deep, ugly hole (as I did today), but manage to claw your way back first to even then to being up (as I also did today), walking away with what is objectively a pretty mediocre and pathetic $103 (which, yes, I also did today) feels like an absolute fortune in one's pocket.

If, conversely, one starts off like gangbusters, raking it in hand over fist, enjoys the pleasures of "stacks and towers of checks I can't even see over" (see here), then gives back nearly all of the gains, and one walks away with the same $103 net profit on the day, for the same number of hours of play, it feels like you've lost a fortune.

It's all relative. And, of course, it's all completely irrational. But like most of us, I have to confess to retaining pockets of irrationality in my brain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

been reading for a few months and haven't commented yet. just wanted to let you know that i really enjoy reading your blog , especially your experiences at the table and the emotions that go with it. keep up the good work.

Dave Martin

Unknown said...

Had a session last night where my Aces were snapped off and I was felted on second hand. Clawed my way back to even, then got it all in 4-way and was 55% to win after flop. Dude hits open-ended on river and ends my night. Tough to think reletively about those events. They just never seems to even out.

Philly said...

I've been reading your blog for quite a while now and have made several comments. I play poker (not a professional)so I love to read about it. My daughter has been in Vegas since last Thursday. She played in a tourney @ Binion's on Monday...and won! So she'll be in the Sunday Champion's Tourney there, so I just wanted to mention that in case you get the opportunity to go by there. I'd love it if you said something to her. She's small, blonde, 26 yr. old. She's an attorney who also loves to play poker. If you get that chance (to stop by there), tell her that her mother sent you to check on her. That would be funny. I'd love it if she were to win it. We'll see.

Pete said...

I wonder how many people will now stop by and wish this woman good luck? I hope she wins the tournament.

Philly said...

How sweet of you to say that!