Monday, August 17, 2009

A question from 1979, an answer from 2009




A few days ago I was playing at the Venetian when I noticed that the music playing overhead was Ravel's "Bolero."

1979--the year the movie "10" came out--was the year I graduated from high school. I suspect that most people of my age had either not ever heard or not paid much attention to "Bolero" until seeing how it was put to use in this movie. I also suspect that just about nobody of my age bracket who saw the movie can fail to think of it on every rehearing of the music.

Sitting at the Venetian table with that music wafting, my mind drifted in directions both nostalgic and erotic. Although she answers, rather than asks, this question in the film, I imagined Bo Derek seductively querying me, "And what do you like to do to 'Bolero'?"

Middle age pierced through the daydreaming fog as I heard the voice in my head answer her: "Play poker."

1 comment:

Tarpie said...

You actually got a little giggle out of me as I eat breakfast in public. So you not only amused me, but also those eating breakfast near me.