Friday, August 06, 2010

Glitch in Bodog software?

I was just playing another tournament on Bodog when something inexplicable happened--at least I can't explain it, other than that there is a fault in the system's software.

Here's the hand that caught my attention:





It doesn't look too remarkable, I know. What's strange, though, is that on the previous hand I had been under the gun. I somehow managed to skip the big blind.

Lest anybody think I'm making this up or hallucinating or maybe blacked out for a few seconds and missed something, look at the upper left corner of that screen shot. You see that this is hand #1975597018, and that the previous hand was #1975596585.

I got those two hand histories, and grabbed screen shots of them. Here's the first of the two. You can see that the hand number matches that of the "last hand" in the first screen shot posted above. I raised from under the gun with A-J, got a caller, flopped top pair/top kicker, bet, and won the pot. It correctly shows me as being in Seat 1, with the blinds in Seat 8 and Seat 9, as one would expect.



But now here's the very next hand--the one where I noticed that suddenly I had skipped from UTG to the small blind. The hand number matches the "this hand" of the first screen shot, confirming that I didn't blink and miss a hand or something. You can also see that my cards match those of the first screen shot, and it shows me paying the small blind.



As further confirmation that no other hand transpired between these two, look at the stack sizes. The first section of the hand histories shows the stacks at the beginning and end of the hand, separated by a virgule. At the end of my A-J UTG hand, I had T6849.69. (Bodog stupidly allows people to bet cents amounts in tournaments, and some players seem to take great pleasure in specifying their bets that way, which is why I ended up with such a strange stack size, after playing at a table with one such joker.) At the beginning of the second hand, that exact same amount is shown for what I'm starting the hand with. Had I paid a big blind in between, it would have decreased by 200.

Also, notice that the time at which the first hand ended is recorded as 13:56:41, and the time at which the second hand started is recorded as 13:56:44, a three-second difference. That is not enough time that another hand could have played out in between.

In between the two hands, the player to my immediate right, "johnlil3" in Seat 9, is whisked away. He had paid the big blind on the first hand (in which I was UTG), then folded to my raise, and was presumably moved to another table. So what should have happened was that I would become the big blind for the second hand, with no small blind. Actually, what should have happened was that I be the one to be moved; the usual practice when balancing tables is to take the player who will be the big blind on the next hand. But even if Bodog doesn't follow that convention, and instead randomly selects a player to move, it should have made me the big blind for the next hand, rather than have me skip the big blind.

I have spent a fair amount of time pondering this (obviously), and I cannot figure out any set of circumstances under which this should have been allowed to happen. As always, those with more experience in the obscure technicalities of blinds and button rules are encouraged to leave a comment explaining how this could be right, if indeed there is such an explanation that I have overlooked.

I am going to email Bodog's help department asking them to look into this. If I get an answer, I'll post it here as an addendum.

5 comments:

Snuffy said...

Same thing happens on PokerStars as well. When the other player was moved the button still moves. No idea why it's programmed that way but it is. Many times I have seen this happen where you skip the BB because of it.

Anonymous said...

Agreeing with what snuffy said on stars. I remember reading something along the lines,"the players moving out to balance tables or getting knocked out are at random, so this does not give any player an advantage."

I know nothing about computers but I'm going to assume its easier to program it that way.

There are some who call me... Tim said...

Yep - what Snuffy and Anon said is how it works on PokerStars. I tracked one tourney where I missed the BB 5 straight rounds, courtesy of the SB or BB from the previous hand getting knocked out.

The first time I played on a real table with people who knew the rules after playing on PS... ohhh, I got a quick lesson on how it is REALLY done, and gave the rest of a table a good laugh.

Richard Brodie said...

I bitched to Pokerstars about this endlessly years ago to no avail. They claim it's by design.

Anonymous said...

I, too, can confirm it's a feature in the PS software, as opposed to a bug.

The funny thing about this feature is when you're at a cash game waiting to post in, and click the "Wait for Big Blind" button, you will not be dealt in if your BB is skipped. On the other hand, when you want to leave a table and check the "Sit out next blind" button, you will sit out if your BB is skipped.