Monday, September 22, 2014

British Isles trip, part 24: Dunluce Castle

Link to photo dump.


We had left Giants Causeway just minutes before, and I think most of us on the coach, looking at the schedule of what was next, saw "Dunluce Castle," and thought, with some degree of weariness and sarcasm,"Yippee, another castle."

And then we rounded a corner in the road and saw this:


Dunluce Castle.jpg
"Dunluce Castle" by Kenneth Allen - From geograph.org.uk. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons.


No fooling, we let out a spontaneous, coordinated, "Wow!"

This castle rises from the sheer cliff faces even more dramatically than Edinburgh Castle, Conwy Castle, or Stirling Castle--which is really saying something. My mind reels trying to picture the task of setting the foundation, using 13th-century technology. How the *&%^#$ did they do that?

I wish I had had time to walk far enough back up the road to get my own picture of that view, but I didn't.

I did, however, get a few decent shots while wandering around inside the ruins.

















No comments: