Sunday, July 14, 2019

Oliver

My second cat, Oliver, died yesterday. He had had low-grade chronic renal disease for a long time, and for unknown reasons it rapidly worsened over the past several days, to the point that his kidney were irreversibly shut down.

I don't know how old he was. The shelter from which I adopted him told the story in a newsletter a short time later:


It still makes me choke up to see how sick and miserable he was. Compare that to how cozy-comfy he got once he had settled in with me:



His favorite place to perch was on top of my recliner:



He thought it was an even better spot when I would sit in the chair with him above me:


Sometimes this would result in a head bath that I thought was unnecessary, but Oliver obviously thought otherwise. This was the first of what would turn out to be many:


My main regret is that I could never get Oliver and Lucy to be friends. Mostly, they just barely tolerated each other. This isn't a great photo, but it nicely illustrates the prevailing mood:


But once in a while, there would be a real dust-up. Oliver usually picked the fights, and always came out the loser:



Sometimes they would nap calmly in fairly close proximity, showing a glimmer of mutual tolerance:




And once in a great while, there were moments of what appeared to be affection, which would always send my hopes soaring that a better inter-feline relationship would come:






The best I can say is that in the last several months things were improving between them--though at a glacial pace.

He was a pretty derpy, messy cat. His tongue often stuck out, and he would make giant messes out of his food, water, litterbox, and everything else. But he did have his moments of letting his handsome flag fly:




One of his best features was that he had eyeliner on fleek. Women would die to get their eyes done this perfectly:


He was constantly affectionate.



He was endlessly funny and entertaining.



Looking through my photo/video archives, I just want to show you all of it. But that would be self-indulgent, rather than a proper tribute. So I'll call it quits with this:

For the last time, Oliver says "blep."


I already miss him terribly.


3 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Sorry for your loss.

seattleirish said...

So sorry, PG - Oliver sounds/looks like a Very Good Cat.

s.i.

lightning36 said...

Losing pets is always so difficult after they have taken up residence in our hearts. I think back to my brother-in-law's words after our long-time family dog had to be put to sleep: "Just remember the great life you gave her." I am positive Oliver had a great life, thanks to you. Sorry for your loss.