Sunday, November 16, 2008

The most powerful hand in poker






After I scored a nice W at Binion's last night, I still had some time and energy left, so I wandered across the street to the Golden Nugget. While there, I had an opportunity once again to make some money from what regular readers by now understand is the most powerful hand in Texas hold'em: the deuce-four. (Today I finally got around to going back through old posts where I've talked about this particular hand and how it became my favorite, and adding a special deuce-four label to them, so that they're all easy to find from now on.)

An aggressive player in early position raised to $13. I was on the button, and calling a raise with the 2-4 from the button is my favorite way of deploying it. (The reason for that should be obvious: when it hits, nobody can possibly believe that a tight player like me could have called a pre-flop raise with crap like that, so it's completely disguised. It's a Ninja hand!) The big blind then pushed all-in for a total of $28, $15 more. The original raiser called. Well, I can't fold now, being offered more than 4.5:1 for the call!

The flop is 7-4-2 rainbow, giving me two pairs. I have only about $60 left in front of me at this point, so when it is checked to me, I shove. Sadly, the original raiser apparently didn't catch any part of that flop, so he folded. The turn card was another 4, making a full house for me. The big blind mucked after seeing my hand, so I never learned what either opponent had. But I don't really care, as long as I scooped up the chips.

As evidence by the faces and rolled eyes and post-hand conspiratorial whispering of the losers, the 2-4 once again proved not only its value as a gatherer of chips, but as an unparalleled inducer of tilt. This occurs whether you win with it in a freak hand like this, or miss and turn it into a pure bluff (which is where having position really becomes important) and show it off.

Please don't tell your friends about the 2-4, or post about it in online forums, etc. We need to keep it our little secret, OK?


The image above is lifted from this site, which chronicles the feats of battlefield courage demonstrated by one particular U.S. Army unit that goes by the nickname of "Deuce-Four." I intend no disrespect for the unit or the heroism of its members by borrowing the image for my rather silly purposes here. It was just the most useful thing that came up in a Google image search.

7 comments:

bastinptc said...

The secret is safe. I've tried the hand a few times after reading about your success with it, to no avail. I seem to have better results with 2-5 and 4-7.

Rakewell said...

Yeah, but you're not a PROFESSIONAL, are you?! It takes a lot of skill and experience to know how to flop two pairs or trips or a straight or full house or flush with the 2-4. It is not for amateurs! :-)

Memphis MOJO said...

Actually this whole post means that when you are on the button, it's not much of a mistake to play just about any two cards. Your position is worth that much.

bastinptc said...

Thanks for clearing that up. LOL
back into my hole I go....

Unknown said...

I think you mentioned some time ago that future articles might include:
Your favorite places to play and why.
Why you always buy-in short.

Any update on these articles or did I miss them.

Thanks

Jordan said...

You reason for playing 24 is the same reason I have for playing 27. Randomized bluffing, no one puts you on that hand, and there is a big tilt factor.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you last night when I was about to fold my 2-4 offsuit on the button. Instead I called a min raise with it. Flop came K83. I folded to a bet. Keep the solid advice coming. :)

I do enjoy reading the blog immensely.