Thursday, January 17, 2008

I can't vote for Ron Paul (grrrrrrrrr) (non-poker related)

After writing the post below, I started looking for information on where I needed to go Saturday for the Republican caucuses to put in my vote for Ron Paul. I discovered, to my chagrin, that I can't. It turns out that the stupid Republican party put in place a rule that one has to have registered as a Republican 30 days before the caucus in order to participate. I'm not thrilled about changing my registration from Libertarian to Republican (I think it should be illegal for the state to collect data on one's party affiliation as part of voter registration, but that's another issue), but I would have done so temporarily for the purpose of voting for Paul.

I moved here from Minnesota, which had open caucuses--just show up and you can participate. I had just blithely assumed that things would work similarly here. The Democrats basically do the same in Nevada. But not the Republicans.

Why does everything have to be stupid and difficult?

On top of that, I have a painful stye in my left eye, and it was 28 degrees here a couple of hours ago, which is way too cold for existence. I am super grumpy today.

3 comments:

OhCaptain said...

It keeps the stupid and difficult people in a job. They took everything over a while back. Didn't you get the memo?

Ted said...

I am liking this blog more and more each day. I have always been registered as an independent so I am not allowed to vote in any primaries. I think that I should be allowed to vote in ALL primaries to help the parties better vet their candidates. As it stands, I only get to vote at the end and my choice is as Matt Stone and Trey Parker put it, "between a douche and a terd".

I like Paul too. Although he may be a little too radically conservative, I agree with your earlier assertions that he is the most freedom loving candidate. I like his honesty even though some of his ideas seem a little out there, he is clearly a bright guy with strong arguments for his positions. I would take a chance on Paul for Pres. too. He might be just what this country needs after 8 years of the imbeciles and asses that we have now.

How bout this? Paul/Bloomberg?

www.redbullandpoker.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Shame on you for not keeping track of these from the site. www.ronpaul2008.com . Every vote counts !