Sunday, September 14, 2008

Hard Rock blows its grand opening, makes the Grump grumpier than usual




I had read over on Pokerati that today was the grand opening of the Hard Rock poker room. If you're thinking, "Huh? Didn't they open a few weeks ago?" you haven't been around Vegas enough. This is how things are done here. There is a "soft opening," followed later by a "Grand Opening."

I thought it would be fun to be in the room playing while keeping an eye on the progress of the invitational tournament they were holding, snapping occasional photos of the celebrities, etc. So I headed over there. I arrived at 4:15, knowing that the red carpet event would be at 5:00. Got seated in a $1-2 NLHE game. Picked up the cool chip shown above with my first buy-in; it doesn't say 2008 on it, but I'm pretty sure it's a new design for this year's Independence Day.

I had played for only about five minutes when a floor guy came over and said something about us having just ten more minutes. I didn't understand exactly what that meant. We were at a table close to where the red carpet pathway had been set up, so I thought maybe they were going to move us to another table.

To my shock, though, about ten minutes later they came by with chip racks for everybody. We weren't being moved--we were being kicked out! That's right. The Hard Rock commenced the Grand Opening of its poker room by evicting all of the poker players! There was no explanation given. I had not been told of this when I checked in. The press release said nothing about it. I would not have wasted my time driving there and parking in order to play for 15 minutes, nor just for rubbernecking the tournament.

This was completely unexpected. My initial impressions of the room on previous visits had been highly positive (see here and here for details). Nothing had given me reason to think that they would treat their customers with such utter contempt and disregard.

I have never known a poker room to close down its cash games for a tournament. Hell, even the world's largest tournament, the WSOP, imports scads of dealers in order to keep cash games going. As far as I know, Benny Binion never stopped letting cash players in, no matter how crowded the bullpen got. Even the lowly, tiny Hilton poker room kept a cash game available during its monthly freeroll tournaments, despite the tournament usually occupying all but one of its eight or so tables. I've been around all sorts of poker rooms when they have been hosting all sizes of tournaments, and I have never before seen them shoo away the cash game players. I'm not saying it hasn't ever happened, somewhere, sometime, but I've never seen it, and certainly had no reason to anticipate it today.

This was incredibly rude and insulting treatment by a poker room. They communicated very, very clearly to me how little they value my patronage. I am utterly unimportant to them. So are all of the other non-celebrities (three tables' worth, at least) that were all unceremoniously pushed out the door. And they couldn't even be bothered to put a couple of extra people to work in the cage to handle the simultaneous closing of three tables--30 people make for a long line in front of one cashier to cash in chips.

There was no explanation given, no apology, no effort to tell us what time the cash games would re-open, no attempt to offer even a token compensation or consideration for the insult and inconvenience. As far as I could tell, they hadn't even bothered to put up a lousy sign at the check-in desk warning that the room would be closed to uninvited players during certain hours.

I was too pissed off to stay and take pictures, even though I had brought my good camera along. Even now, some six hours later, I still can't believe that the Hard Rock was so stupid and clumsy as to celebrate the grand opening of its poker room by kicking out the poker players! "Welcome to the Hard Rock. Now get the hell out of here. You're in the way."

The Hard Rock poker room is not going to survive by catering to celebrities. They can only sustain a largish 18-table room by attracting a stable clientele including a large mix of local regulars. In my opinion, they took a huge step backwards from this already-difficult task today, by insulting and chasing away players whom they should be welcoming with open arms, even groveling to make happy.

I'm not so headstrong as to say I'll never go back there again, because if I can make money in a poker room and it's reasonably accessible, I'll keep it on the list at least for occasional visits. But today's conduct was perhaps the most offensive, unnecessary, and shortsighted bitch-slap a poker room has ever hit me with, and it seriously eroded the positive impressions I had made of the place on my first two visits.

I'll go back sooner or later, I'm sure, but I'll never feel as positively about it as I did before, now that they have made explicit where I and other ordinary poker-playing Joes stand in their list of priorities: way down there at at the bottom.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Grump, I wish you woulda stuck around long enough to say hi. It's about time we meet in person, no?

(I mean that in a poker way, not a gay way.)

Wow, I didn't know they kicked people out. But in the HRH's defense, I'm always willing to cut'em some slack the first time they do anything ... and this event was a madhouse. (I was alternate 54.)

Also, FWIW, the WSOP does shut down the cash games a few times ... for the big 1500s, for example.

Anyhow, I swear I'm not trying to defend their actions ... plenty of criticism to be passed around ... but I've been there like 5 times, and overall I don't see a super-negative attitude. Have seen much worse elsewhere.

Anonymous said...

I admire your desire to "never say never", but the phraise running through my mind is: "when hell freezes over and pigs fly."

It's a gorgeous beast of a room, but what really counts are good games, competent managment, and reasonable chairs and tables. Everything else is extra frosting one can play without.

But, Hard Rock has always been a style over substance kinda place, so guess it's no surprise to see that attitude in the poker room.
smudger

kurokitty said...

My take on the poker room there is all glitz and little substance. There are many other places to play, especially when you can have juicy poker rooms clustered near each other.

@OnAFoldDraw said...

Just wanted to echo what Michalski said re: closing the cash games at the WSOP. On more than one occasion I've had the floor come over and say, "Sorry guys, all cash -action will cease at 11AM for the Noon Event."

They give a hearty heads-up, but it's known to happen. Doesn't make Hard Rock's actions appropriate, just know that they're not without precedent.

Memphis MOJO said...

That's unbelievable. They out to put people in charge that know poker and know how to run a business.

Mr Subliminal said...

I was planning a visit but you have convinced me otherwise. They violated a cardinal rule of hospitality. As for you ever going back again, my position is clear : fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, errr, I won't get fooled again.

Anonymous said...

r u sure they actually kicked everyone out, or just closed down the cash game tables> theres a difference between shutting down a cash table, --ive seen that happen lots of places-- and them forcing everyone to leave the room or else theyd call security. im sure there were other players sitting around waiting on the tourney to start.

Anonymous said...

I was there Saturday afternoon too. They started warning everyone at around 3 that the games would close. No idea why they wouldn't tell the new players coming in.

When I heard about the freeroll, my first thought was: "Cool, maybe the seated cash players get in free!" Alas, none of us were cool enough to join in the festivities.

Luckily, I was one of the first ones to cash out so I didn't have to wait in line.

Anonymous said...

Hey Grump,

I went there for the grand opening also, and was a bit bitter when they said, sorry you are not good enough. With that said, I have gone back numerous time and you really should too. I play poker more for entertainment value than to win, and it is great for that, the dealers and floor people really are great. If you are a more serious player than i am, I do have a friend who has gone almost every weekend since the opening, and while it mainly is locals, he tends to pull about 350-500 a sitting. (he hit 2k one night on 1-2 ---and has had some losses too, but mainly up)

So please give it another shot.