Sunday, November 16, 2008

#1002

Hmmm. It seems that I was a bit premature in counting my 1000th post.

Warning: extremely boring technical explanation to follow.

Once in a while I start writing a post and don't know how to finish it, or something comes up and I have to leave, or whatever. The partial post gets saved as a draft. When I come back to it later, often a few days have passed. If I simply complete the original draft, the stupid Blogger software puts it in the chronological order of when it was first saved, not when it was actually published, which means that many people would never see it, because they wouldn't know that a new post had been inserted down the page, between others they've already read. So instead, I just copy the previous partial post into a brand-new one. But then I sometimes forget to delete the partial draft one. While doing some other blog maintenance work just now, I discovered that I had about five old drafts saved. All of them later got turned into full posts and published in due course, but the deadwood was still there. What I had not known until today is that Blogger counts the unpublished drafts in the total post count. When I deleted those old drafts, my total count dropped, making this now post #1002. I hadn't intended to be "cheating" to puff up my numbers; I just didn't know. I'm mortified.

Anyway, the count should be correct now.

2 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

There's a way in blogger to change the date and time (which is simpler than copying and pasting).

Just before you click on the orange "publish" box, look just above that. It says "Post options." Click on that first, and there is a date and time box in which you can choose what day you want to go in under. (I don't use the time.)

Suppose I come home at night from a Friday tournament. I blog something like "Tonight I played in the ... blah blah" and I see on the clock it's after midnight. When this happens, it's going to post as Saturday and the blog won't make sense.

When this happens, I just change the post date to Friday or whatever date it is supposed to be.

Anonymous said...

...speechless...simply disgusted in your dishonesty...