Saturday, November 22, 2008

History Channel show

The History Channel has a series called "Cities of the Underworld," which I've never watched before. I taped the episode this week because it was about Las Vegas. If you get a chance, I'd recommend seeing it. (It's not yet up on the network's web site, but older installments are, so I expect that this one will be there soon enough, too.) There was a segment on the Hoover Dam, which was pretty much the same thing as has been featured on a thousand other documentary shows. But I was intrigued to get a look inside the basement "hard count" room at Fitzgeralds. I was also interested in what a vast underground network of enormous storm drains the city has been building for flood control over the last 30 years--something like 450 miles of tunnels now, and rapidly increasing. But the best part of the show was the last segment, showing the inner workings of the Bellagio fountains. There is a staff of 36 full-time employees just for maintenance. They show underwater footage of one of the big blasters being replaced. Very cool stuff. Well, if you like that sort of thing, which I do.

No comments: