Monday, December 01, 2008

More Dirty Harry at the poker table



Putting up the previous post (a quotation from "Magnum Force" that somehow made its way unbidden back into my consciousness today) reminds me of a great moment from last week at Binion's that I somehow failed to chronicle at the time. It was so perfect that I decided I would surely remember to blog about it without jotting myself a note. And now I did--a week after the fact. Oops.

Anyway, one guy is betting every street and getting called by one opponent. The river brought the third of a suit. The aggressor bet again. His opponent was contemplating what to do, when the aggressor put on a fake snarl, adopted a serviceable Clint Eastwood impersonation, and said, "I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, did that heart just make his flush? Well, to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement. So you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya--punk?"

Hard to convey here how hilarious a bit of monologue that was. It was one of the best pieces of table entertainment I've ever seen during the play of a hand.

Oh, and the guy folded, so it apparently worked.

6 comments:

gr7070 said...

"Hey, I have to know."

So did he show the flush?

Rakewell said...

Nope. And the correct quotation is "I gots to know"!

Unknown said...

Hey Rakewell...

Notice what's playing at the movie theater outside the coffee shop?

Jordan said...

That Poker Gem quote reminded me of a quote I often use when faced with turning down a vice (no one likes to be turned down when offering a vice, such as booze, drugs, or gamblin'): "A man has to know his limits."

As for the table chat, I use a similar line that I stole from a player a while ago: "Just fold and nobody gets hurt." I usually use it when I want a call.

smokkee said...

awesome

Mike G said...

That's a great scene. Great story from the poker table as well.

Did you see "Million Dollar Baby"? Another Eastwood classic, with sort of a Vegas flavor.