Saturday, March 21, 2009

Seen on Fremont Street

Today's poker: I walked down to Binion's. I won some money. I came home.

The end.


There being no other poker content of interest today, we now turn to the non-poker portion of this post: some of the odd sights on my way home.

Before I even left Binion's, I saw a bunch of these guys:





I admit it. I had never heard of the "Soldiers for Jesus Motorcycle Club" before. Heck, I didn't even know Jesus rode a motorcycle!


Then I came across a band playing on stage:




Another thing I did not know: Both beehive hairdo wigs and wearing plastic bowls upside down on one's head are back in fashion! I would like to give credit to the band, but I saw no sign anywhere that would inform a viewer of who they were. Nevertheless, based on the calendar of events here, my research was able to determine that it was a group called "Loveshack."


The next thing I encountered was a bunch of these people:







I had no idea what that was all about. However, upon returning home and looking it up, I surmise that it is part of this thing. Seems harmless enough, but pretty silly, if you ask me. What's that? You didn't ask me? Oh, well, then--never mind.


Finally, I spotted a couple of the sign boys. I've been seeing them out on the Strip at night for something like a year now, and kept meaning to take a picture of them, but was never at the right place at the right time. Tonight I was, sort of:





They carry these electric signs around on their backs. Looks like a pretty crappy job, especially when it's hot. These particular signs are pretty tame. The ones on the Strip tend to be advertising prostitutes nice young women who will come visit you in your hotel room and help keep you company if you're lonely on your trip far from home.


If the simple trip from Binion's back to my apartment is any indication, this may be the strangest city on the planet.

No comments: