Thursday, June 11, 2009

Big day




Event #24 today, noon. I will try not to be in my seat too early, as Dr. Pauly always observes that the early arrivals to the donkaments have no chance of winning.

Checking Wicked Chops this morning, I see from the Twitter feed (see above) suggestions that, contrary to the earlier decision, texting from the table will not be allowed. It appears that this was reported by Mark Seif, confirmed by Jeffrey Pollack. I have looked on a bunch of blogs, on Pokerati, on PokerNews, on Tao of Poker, etc., and have seen nothing else about this. Very strange double-reverse, if it's true--first put in the rules that no texting will be allowed, then make an official but non-public decision that it would be allowed, then halfway through the series start citing and enforcing the rule. At this point, I'm not sure what to expect. If there are few Tweets from me today, it may be because they're making some announcement to that effect.

Full of nervous energy. Slept about 6 1/2 hours, but woke up 90 minutes earlier than wanted and couldn't get back to sleep.

Likely 2500 people playing in this one. That means that 11 people would be expected to get dealt pocket aces on the first hand. They hold up about 80% of the time, which means that about 2 people will likely lose with them on the first hand. Wouldn't be too surprising if somebody busted out with them on the first hand. Hope it won't be me.

Filled with conflicting goals about sitting back and playing uber-tight at first, versus taking advantage of all the dead money people are bringing to the table and getting my fair share of it, before I'm left with only the toughest and/or luckiest opponents. Just have to play it by ear.

Am going to try to remember Charlie Shoten's main "mantra" for poker: "I am calm, confident, and clear, and I wait for my best choice to appear after considering all of my choices and the consequences of each. When my best choice appears, I act."

I'm taking along a little notebook for recording observations, interesting/consequential hands, etc. Hope I stay in long enough to generate a fun post when it's all done.

And if I happen to end up with a bit of wrist jewelry and a couple hundred thou in spending money to boot, well, that'll be OK, too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Read your tweet re: early out. I sure hope it wasn't JJ vs K7 off...
Why not regroup and go back for the juicy cash ring games? This may allow you to practice some of the skills Angelo advocates...Either way, you're the still one of the best poker bloggers and prolly a really nice guy.

Memphis MOJO said...

GL. Remember, you can use your cell phone camera to take a shot of the bracelet.

qdpsteve said...

Rakewell, I'm sorry but I just have to ask: why do you absolutely insist on calling these things "donkaments"? Is it mental preparation? Is it going to make you feel better in the event you don't cash?

If you don't think non-pros should be allowed to play in WSOP events, or that we should be segregated to our own "Donkey Section", frankly I wish you'd just say so.

Just my two cents. And still enjoy your blog a lot. But this nonstop "donkament" stuff is getting awfully tiresome to this (admittedly sometimes overly sensitive) non-pro player. Yeesh.

Wolynski said...

When I was there over the weekend,everyone was texting and tweeting at the tables, Ivey, Evelyn Ng, Negreanu, everyone. I'm sorry, but that's outrageous - how easy is it to text your friend on the rail for help?

qdpsteve said...

Oops RW, forgot the most important part: whatever you think about your chosen WSOP event, I DO wish you success in the endeavor. Don't forget your cyberfriends after you're rolling in final table cash!

;-)

qdpsteve said...

Oops. Your WSOP tourney was TODAY?!?

Sheeeeeit. Disregard everything I've written this afternoon. Sorry it didn't go the way you planned.