Friday, July 10, 2009

Big day in a man's life (no poker content)

Most women won't get this fact, but one of the most potentially traumatic days in a man's life is when he must finally admit that it's time to replace his wallet. This is put off for as long as possible. Men will continue using a familiar wallet until there are only about three wallet molecules left holding their stuff together.

I've known for several months that the end was near. With increasing frequency, my driver's license and other items have been falling out all over the place when I open my wallet to conduct some sort of transaction. I've had this wallet for probably ten years. I bought it at a Minnesota Wal-Mart for about $3. Is that good value, or what?

(N.B. Today's fashion tip: When one wears a black nylon fanny pack everywhere, it is crucial that one's wallet, carried therein, be a matching black nylon.)

I needed a bunch of sundry items today, so headed to the Wal-Mart on Charleston, on my way to the Rio for poker, as the Wal-Mart is only a couple of blocks off of that path. I didn't really expect to be lucky enough to find the same model of wallet. That would be too easy, because everything could simply be transferred to an identical spot in the new one, without having to figure out a new rearrangement. I did hope, however, that some worthy successor would be on the shelves.

But to my amazement, they had what appears to be the identical item that I bought ten years ago! Even more amazing, the price tag was $2.97, which I believe is to the penny what I paid for the old one in Minnesota way back when.

Traits that I find increasing in myself as I grow older include (in addition to curmudgeonliness) being more of a skinflint and being far more set in my habitual ways. Today's purchase scored major satisfaction points on both counts.

It was already a good day, even before I got to the poker room.

4 comments:

THETA Poker said...

To he who is able to find joy in life's littlest victories goes eternal happiness.

Anonymous said...

Why not take $100 and go buy a soft as butter leather wallet that will last longer than you will live. I'm 36 and I still use a Coach black leather bifold wallet that my mother gave me as one of my college graduation gifts.

I can't imagine what the hell you can buy worth a crap for 2.97 and have expectaions of it lasting 10 years.

Unknown said...

I hear ya.
My wallet was falling apart for months and it literally took me about 3 months to find a replacement. Had to be just right. Hopefully, I won't have to endure that again.

NewinNov said...

My wife bought me a nice wallet for my birthday a few years back but I continue to use the one that is still relatively in one piece. Why replace something that still works?