Friday, January 08, 2010

Foucault FTW

Foucault's posts often focus on technical aspects of playing particular hands and situations--which is fine (he is highly methodical and analytical, traits you can especially appreciate in his training videos for PokerSavvy), but not particularly entertaining. Today's post is the polar opposite. He recounts his time at one table at the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure with a boorish, self-centered jerk setting the mood, and describes how he responded--mostly stoically, with a touch of needle thrown in. If reading most of Foucault's blogging is like eating spinach (valuable and extremely good for you, and exactly what you know you should be doing with your time, but not what one would describe as pleasurable), this post is like a giant serving of double-fudge chocolate cake a la mode.

Andrew, you have nailed exactly how I feel the vast majority of the time I'm playing live poker. Thank you for reminding me that I'm not the only one who has to devise ways of maintaining composure when surrounded by idiocy and obnoxiousness.

Go read: http://www.thinkingpoker.net/2010/01/the-babboon-and-the-grasshopper/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, grump. I'm flattered. I must say that I while I take pride in keeping my composure around toolboxes, I enjoy busting them even more. Check out this story, it's from a few years ago but was very rewarding:

http://www.thinkingpoker.net/2007/07/wsop-or-bust/

Best of luck at the tables!
Andrew

Anonymous said...

Grump,

FYI - the link you have on your list of Vegas blogs goes to Andrew's old site.