Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bodog, the good and the bad

The good: Yesterday I suddenly couldn't log on to the site. I downloaded the software and reinstalled it. Didn't fix the problem. I called the phone number provided in the error message and quickly got a very helpful customer service guy, who had only a trace of an Indian accent. He helped me diagnose and fix the problem (which turned out to be something about cookie files) in seven minutes flat--which, as these things go, is plenty speedy. He was clear, knowledgeable, efficient, and polite. Couldn't ask for it to have gone any better.

The bad: I've been doing well in Bodog tournaments, so I decided to cash out $300. I requested a check by mail (or courier), which I have done before and received it with no problem. They gave no indication that anything different would be happening this time, except for this generic notice on the payout request page: "Bodog will attempt to process your payout via the method requested, but reserves the right to process it by another method if required by our internal policies or those of our payment providers." I put in the request on Monday, and my envelope arrived today by FedEx. That's plenty fast for me.

However, I was surprised to find in the package not a check but a prepaid Visa card, along with two pages of instructions. First I have to activate it by setting up an account with the card issuer's web site. Then it turns out that I can't just get cash out from an ATM and then immediately redeposit it--which was my first plan upon seeing the card--because no PIN was included. (I have an email in to Bodog support about this.)

It appears that Bodog's intention is to electronically credit me via this card every time I request a payout. I.e., I have to hold on to the thing, and there is a $25 charge if I lose it. Balance inquiries cost $1 each. (I trust that means at an ATM, and that checking the balance via web is free, but who knows?)

The instructions tell me that I may not use the card for online or telephone purchases, which constitute the majority of transactions for which I use a card. In-person shopping? Not much my style. The most common thing I buy in person is gasoline, and the papers I received helpfully warn me that the card will not be accepted by most gas pumps.

The real kicker is this trio of notices: "Your card's balance is held in Philippine Pesos (PHP)." "Your PHP balance will be converted to USD when you withdraw cash or make a purchase." "PHP exchange rates may fluctuate daily." "The card issuer and merchant will not be liable for any loss of funds relating to fluctuations in exchange rates."

Other notices warn me that there may be all sorts of ATM fees for using the card, that I should consider it as good as cash and guard it from being stolen, that if it is stolen it's my tough luck and I'm still responsible for whatever use is made of it, and that they reserve the right to revoke the card at any time for any reason, which may include forfeiture of the card balance.

Nice, eh? Friendly customer service. All done for my convenience, of course.

Look, Bodog: I don't want your stupid card. I don't want or need another credit card in my wallet, and I don't want to have to store it someplace at home. I don't want to have to worry about it being stolen. If I buy things with a credit card, I want them to show up on my credit card statement. If I want to use cash, I'll use cash. I don't need a card that you tell me can be used like cash. I don't want to have to log on to a web site to find out how much is left on the card, nor do I want to pay $1 to find out that information from an ATM. I don't want to have to pay a fee to get cash out of this card. I don't want you or your intermediary company holding on to my funds after I requested a withdrawal, especially with the warning that their value may diminish with whatever may happen to the economy in the Philippines. I just wanted a plain old simple paper check, which is what you offered me and what I requested--a check that I could sign and deposit the next time I went to my bank or an ATM, just like we've done before.

Would that really have been so difficult?

10 comments:

Tarpie said...

I have noticed buzz on twitter today that pokerstars checks are bouncing. It's possible the banks have caught up with the major poker sites, and this is Bodog's inconvenient way of working around UIGEA restrictions. Of course this is all speculation and they may just be screwing their customers.

Steve said...

Wow Rakewell. And here I was just now feeling down on myself 'cuz I just can't seem to squeeze any profit out of Bodog. Sounds like winning's barely worth it anyhow, if that's how payouts are made.

As Tarpie is saying, this kind of BS probably won't ever completely go away 'til online gaming is determined legal in the US. My good news: I think it's destined to happen. The bad: it'll likely take 10-15 years.

bastinptc said...

And I bet the cash you requested is being held in an account that is drawing interest for Bodog.

Anonymous said...

I play on pokerstars, but don't live in the USA. Due to economic conditions since 2008, I haven't been able to win USD faster than American politicians can devalue USD.

PHP would be an improvement.

Unknown said...

As Tarpie said there's been a rash of bounced checks. I had both my Full Tilt AND PokerStars checks bounce recently.

Stars has already credited my account and gave 10% on top of the amount of the check, while Full Tilt is taking their sweet time (one month and counting).

Sadly, the check card thing might become the norm soon.

Djoph! said...

I think I would not like that kind of refund. One thing though, why not set a Moneybooker account or some other e-wallet? That way, you could fund a poker account or retrieve money from a poker site and transfer it to another site or directly to your bank account.

I know that setting such an account is a bit of a hassle but you have to do it only once.

Just an idea like that.

Anonymous said...

Reader of your blog from the Philippines here.

Curious, what bank issued the card? I assume it's from a Philippine bank. I wonder if we can get the same card here if we were to play in bodog (i have my doubts though)

J

Rakewell said...

It's called a "Globelcard," issued by Chinatrust.

Anonymous said...

yeah, that's a local bank. (although it's actually a taiwanese bank with branches locally)

from what i heard/read, bodog has a support center based here. although players form here playing on their site is still a grey area. but some people have gotten around it.

J

Anonymous said...

I withdraw from Bodog about once a month and it says on the check they send me "For Marketing Services Rendered". I wonder if Bodog is worried that this may be construed as fraud and that is why they are doing the prepaid card thing.
It looks like I got my last withdrawal out just in time and I think I will stick with the sites that use Ewalletxpress for now.