Monday, January 07, 2008

Poker gems, #65

Barry Greenstein, from Ace on the River, p. 42.

I have come to expect to play with some people who are not very likeable. Most of them are not my friends, so I don't get upset if they don't act in a civil fashion. It comforts me that I am taking money from flawed people rather than from nice people. Players who are crybabies deserve something to cry about. A successful poker player looks for any flaw in his opponents' personalities and uses it as motivation to beat them out of their money. Fortunately, it is easy to find flaws. I like to beat up on the bad winners, bad losers, slowrollers, dealer-abusers, chauvinists, racists, egomaniacs, lesson-givers, coffee-housers, loudmouths, etc. The only nice people I want to beat are rich people who will not suffer financially. Poker is entertainment for them, and my poker wins are only a byproduct.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff, but what's a "coffee-houser"?

Rakewell said...

coffeehouse

(v) Play a hand accompanied by a performance, usually to try to get a call. Compare with Hollywood and moves.

(From http://www.poker1.com/mcu/pokerdictionary/mculib_dictionary_c.asp.)