Thursday, March 13, 2008

And to think that I saw it on Mulberry Street!

(CAUTION: Zero poker content ahead. Nothing to see here, really. Move along, move along.)

OK, I don't actually live on Mulberry Street (just off Fremont and Las Vegas Boulevard, if anybody cares), and what just happened doesn't really compare with what Dr. Seuss's little storyteller experienced, but it's the most exciting thing around here in a while anyway.

Mere minutes ago I heard a tremendous CRASH outside my second-floor apartment, went to the window, and saw what you see in the video here. A truck that always parks in that spot apparently did one of those mistaking-the-accelerator-for-the-brake things and zoomed into the maintenance shed, breaking a water main and the boiler. (So no hot water for a while, I'm guessing.) Now the fire department is here (don't really know why), and it's all a big mess. The video is shot out of my window--didn't even have to step outside, that's how close it is to me. When there's not vehicles crashing into buildings, I have what is certifiably the worst view in the whole apartment complex. When there is crashing, though, I've got the front-row seat.

This was also a minor technical triumph for me. I took two separate video clips (because my ancient camera can't zoom while filming), converted them to a format that Windows Movie Maker could recognize, then used WMM to merge them into one clip, then posted it here without first putting it on YouTube with an embed link (which is how I've done all previous videos). The last two things are both new for me. Slowly, one step at a time, I'm emerging into the 21st century, only a few years behind the rest of the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

No offense, but perhaps you should take your poker skills and sit in a 2/5 place, and move out of that...errrrr...uhhhh...dump...

gr7070 said...

Not to pile on, but you need a better view.

The desert has gotta have some places with trees and shrubs and stuff, don't they?

Chappy & Bailey said...

Las Vegas Blvd. and Fremont? Yeesh...