Thursday, May 15, 2008

Poker words, #3




Reading Gun Hansen's new book, Every Hand Revealed, last night, I came across two terms that were new to me.

On p. 25: "I open for 600 two off the button with Jc5c, the button click-raises to 1,200, and I call."

The term "click-raise" is apparently not original to Gus, as a Google search finds it a few other places (e.g., here), but I can't find a clear definition anywhere. I'm guessing from context that it is intended to mean the same as "minimum raise," and that it originates from the fact that most (maybe all) online sites make it easy to put in this kind of raise by having a dedicated button for it (as well as for a pot-sized bet/raise and an all-in raise, but for any other raise amount, you have to type in the size of the bet/raise or use the slider).

That said, I have to point out that in this particular situation this was not the minimum legal raise. The blinds were 100/200. Gus's opening raise was to 600, a raise of 400. Therefore, the minimum re-raise would have been another 400, to a total bet of 1000. It would be peculiar if the first time I came across a new term it was in a context in which it was being used incorrectly--but that may be the case here. Alternatively, it may be that "click-raise" refers to a raise that exactly doubles the previous bet, whether or not that constitutes a minimum raise. I don't know.

The second term new to me was just three pages later. On p. 28, he describes getting all-in against an opponent on the turn, with his flush ahead of the other guy's three-of-a-kind: "He calls, shows a set of nines, and we are down to the skill-card."

I like the whimiscal, ironic phrase "skill card" for whatever comes after all the money is in. But it shouldn't be hyphenated.

1 comment:

Lag said...

Rakewell, I have Gus Hansen's book, as well. On page 259, he explains the term "click-raise" (his hyphen!)

From page 259: "By click-raising I mean doubling his bet. If he makes it 700,000 I make it 1.4M."

(Again, I'll ignore the lack of a comma in those two sentences! Hansen's book is very good, but it's loaded with grammatical errors, as I'm sure you've noticed.)

So, anyways, there's validation of your theory on the meaning of "click-raise".