Monday, May 12, 2008

You know you've been playing too much poker when...




Too much exposure to any one subject, I suppose, can do strange things to one's brain. When I was most heavily into competitive shooting, I would tend to see gun calibers in addresses and license plates (e.g., 22, 45, 357, 223, etc.). If a word like "clock" was somewhere on a page, my eyes would pick it out and think "Glock" (which is my favorite handgun manufacturer). Any reference to "Smith" would register as "Smith & Wesson" (because we gunnies tend to just call them "Smiths"). And so on.

For quite a while now I have noticed the same sort of mind warpage happening with poker terms. Two have occurred within the past 24 hours. Last night I was reading in a political magazine a piece about the history of Middle East problems. When they used the term "PLO," I couldn't help wondering for a split second what pot-limit Omaha had to do with the subject matter. And just now I was typing an address for something going to zip code 16234, and my brain flashed with, "Wow, that's a nice razz hand."

Maybe I need a nice, long vacation....

3 comments:

Nick said...

I'm always seeing poker hands in number plates - you're not alone.
In fact I've even played one car against another whilst sat in traffic...

Nice blog

Anonymous said...

That's funny, I had a full house on my car odometer this morning.

Anonymous said...

I have a very boring job and eat my lunch in the car while listening to the radio, just to get out of my cubicle for an hour. Every time my car clock shows 12:34, I think - "All I need is a 5, for my straight".