Saturday, August 02, 2008

Picking a horse

Here's a question that, for no discernible reason, I wonder about from time to time.

Suppose that tomorrow there will be a poker game and today you have to pick, as if in a fantasy league, a player to put your money on. However, in advance we don't know if it will be a cash game or a tournament. If it's a tournament, we don't yet know if there will be 10 entrants or 10,000. The version of poker to be played will be determined by a random drawing just before the event begins--it might be hold'em or stud/8 or razz or deuce-to-seven or Spit in the Ocean or just about anything else, limit or no-limit or pot-limit. Similarly, the format might be full-table, short-handed, or even heads-up. We won't know until it's about ready to start. (Never mind the logistical nightmares that this uncertainty would cause the organizers.)

Who will you pick to have the best chance of bringing you the money? In other words, who is the best all-around player to be able to do well in cash game or tournament, against any size field, against any size table, playing any game that they happen to select?

I think my top picks would be, in no particular order:

Daniel Negreanu
Jennifer Harman
Doyle Brunson
Phil Ivey
Barry Greenstein
Todd Brunson
Chau Giang
Ted Forrest
Freddy Deeb
David Oppenheim
Lyle Berman
Johnny Chan
Dewey Tomko
Howard Lederer
Erick Lindgren

If I had to narrow it down further, I think I'd pick Negreanu, Ivey, Greenstein, Forrest, and the two Brunsons.

If I were forced to pick just one of those, I think I'd resort to throwing a dart at a board, because it's awfully hard to determine that any one of them has an edge over the others.

Your ideas, readers?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OT - I played my first RAZZ game today, a $3 SNG, and won! All I know about the game (very little so far) I learned on your blog. I'm not sure if I should thank you or curse you (in case I get hooked).

BTW - great blog.

CJ in Ottawa

Anonymous said...

Id pick either Patrick Antonius, who has a sick record online playing PLO, NLHE and HORSE in general... i like his aggresive style, and he has been running pretty good in the televised cash games, Tom 'Durr' Dwan, who ran very deep in a mixed event in this year series, and well, now that hes 21 i think we will be seeing his skills in the live world, i think he's a very good-smart player, or Phil Ivey, my favorite live player.

These three have been very successful in a variety of games through the years, and i feel that my money will be in great hands :P

Sorry if something sounds funny, i need to practice more my english.

DP said...

Allen Cunningham would seem to merit a place. Phil Galfond and Durrrr merit a lot of consideration as well.

Anonymous said...

Phil Ivey
Ted Forrest
Daniel Negreanu
Barry Greenstein
Scotty Nguyen
Chau Giang

It's tough to pick just one though.

gr7070 said...

Before I even looked at your list two names first came to mind. Greenstein and Ivey.

I'll still take those two over anyone else on your list.

Anonymous said...

I'm surpirsed not to see David Bennyamine towrads the top of someones list, even though I would instantly take Ivey if I had to pick one.


Other notable players (that no one mentioned) would Eli Elezra, Minh Ly, Tom Dwan, Howard Lederer, Phil Galfond, Gus Hansen, and the one I expect to sound the worst, Mike Matusow. Mike has been running really well at HORSE games lately.

I guess Scotty Ngyuen deserves a nod as well for his 50k bracelet.

Cardgrrl said...

John Juanda: quietest, most underrated tournament pro around.