Sunday, November 02, 2008

Can somebody please explain the red dresses?

Last night as I walked from my apartment to Binion's, going west on Fremont Street, there were probably 200 people walking the other direction, in clusters of a few to a few dozen, all wearing red dresses--both men and women. I don't think I've ever seen so many men in dresses in my life.

I overheard a couple of bystanders ask the merry-makers what was going on, but they were given only non-answer answers, like "If you don't know, I can't explain it," and "If we told you, we'd have to kill you."

So I'm asking here: Can anybody explain what this assemblage of people wearing red dresses was all about? Please reveal the secret in the comments.

4 comments:

GrrrlZilla said...

I'm not sure I understand, still, but I thinkthis has some info.

Bill said...

Hashers.

A common special event is the Red Dress Run, and is held annually by individual kennels. According to Hasher lore, a newcomer attended a Hash in San Diego and, being misinformed about the nature of the group, wore a red dress instead of running clothes. Other Hashers began wearing red dresses as a joke, and the tradition soon became an annual event that spread across the world. During the Red Dress Run, members of both sexes don red dresses, red body paint, red sarongs, or even red duct tape. The Red Dress Run is typically the largest event organized by a kennel in a given year, with attendance topping 2,000 in San Diego, 2,500 in New Orleans, and 600 in Washington, D.C.. Variations on this theme include a Green Dress Run (often held near St. Patrick's Day), formal dress run, or lingerie Hash.

@OnAFoldDraw said...

zilla and chilly beat me to the punch. But yeah, definitely Hashers, god bless 'em.

Before I discovered this silly game we call poker I was once physically active and was known to partake in a hash or two.

Great social activity, especially for singles. Hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

Anonymous said...

Sorry no idea..! I am excited to know the secret of red dresses.