Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Perhaps the smallest problem with playing on UltimateBlecch




The recent fuss about UltimateBlecch awarding pots to the wrong players has reminded me that I haven't played there in many months, probably more than a year, in fact--whenever it was (January, 2008, as I recall offhand) that there was the first buzz about superuser account cheating. I still had about $60 sitting on account there. I hadn't even looked at a table since the whole "Cereus" merger thing went live a few weeks back. I was curious if and how that might have changed the look and feel of the games.

So I decided today to see what things are looking like on the ol' UB. Yeah, yeah, I know. Spare me the vitriol. Or unleash it, if you want. I can take it.

Played a $6+1 9-handed NLHE SNG. (Finished 3rd for a net profit of about $4. Whee! Excellent use of an hour!) What bugged me most was that there is nothing on the screen to inform players of the current blinds. If you're in the middle of a hand such as the one shown above and want to know where you and/or other players stand in terms of big blinds remaining (one of the most crucial parameters for decision-making in SNGs), there is nothing to tell you. You can probably go to the tournament lobby (I didn't check this), but that's a pain. If you're playing several of these at once, it would be very difficult to remember confidently where each game stood.

That's right: Even among all of UB's issues, what annoyed me most was the lack of a couple of numbers planted somewhere on the screen. I'm funny that way.

I have to admit that I felt a bit wistful playing. It reminded me of how much I used to like UB. It was my favorite online site. There is a lot of play built into the tournaments; I was the short stack when we got down to four-handed, but still had 22 BBs left. It's subjective, but I just plain like the table layout, controls, speed of the play, lobby, etc.

If only it weren't, y'know, owned by criminals who use their insider access to steal your money, run by PR hacks who lie to their customers almost every time they open their mouths, operated out of one of the most corrupt and untouchable political jurisdictions in this hemisphere, lacking any meaningful regulation, oversight, or licensing by any outside agency, plagued by the most fundamental kind of software errors, and represented by the most ill-behaved, embarrassing, annoying, and immature pro on the circuit. Small things like that can sour a sensitive soul to an otherwise pleasant poker experience.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your last graf is the best description of the UB reality I have ever read.

Mike G said...

Yeah Ultimate Bet sucks, we know. How about talking about the new poker room at Encore, are you going to play there at all?

Rakewell said...

I don't think the Encore has a poker room. When it was first announced, they had ideas for a "poker island" there that would replace the Wynn poker room, but I remember reading somewhere along the way that that got nixed. Last I heard was that the Wynn would continue, and Encore not have poker. If that's wrong, though, yeah, of course, I'll play there sometime soon.

Rakewell said...

I was right: no poker room. See
http://www.allvegaspoker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7009

Memphis MOJO said...

I still like UB. I just pretend that the other sites are probably just as sleeze-ballish, too. At the stakes I play, I am confident nobody is cheating me, ha!